Hidden Files/Folders

Reaction score
My wife bought a new MAC computer last year. It's been great but one thing that I found out last night bothers me.

I sometimes like to suprise the wife with trips. So when I book the trips I save the booking information into a folder that is under my (account)name. Now, we're both administrators but we both have seperate user pages. meaning when I turn the computer on, I have to log inot my page vs her page vs a GUEST page we have.

So, I had forgotten where it went so I opened up FINDER, and looked under ALL DOCUMENTS and found lots of her documents as well. I was like wow....I couldn't do that with my PC.

So I logged out and went into the GUEST account and went to FINDER. Same thing, opened ALL DOCUMENTS and there it was, not just her documents but I also found the travel arrangements.

My guess is if she wanted to do the same thing she could.

I thought by having seperate accounts that my files would be protected as would hers from anyone else using the computer.

This is my first mac so is there anyway to correct this problem so it does protect my files?

Thanks.

Reaction score
You can protect those files by using a password. The files won't be hidden from your wife, but at least she won't be able to open them. That may take a little explaining, though ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20 inch dual core. 16 GB ipad.
My wife bought a new MAC computer last year. It's been great but one thing that I found out last night bothers me.

I sometimes like to suprise the wife with trips. So when I book the trips I save the booking information into a folder that is under my (account)name. Now, we're both administrators but we both have seperate user pages. meaning when I turn the computer on, I have to log inot my page vs her page vs a GUEST page we have.

So, I had forgotten where it went so I opened up FINDER, and looked under ALL DOCUMENTS and found lots of her documents as well. I was like wow....I couldn't do that with my PC.

So I logged out and went into the GUEST account and went to FINDER. Same thing, opened ALL DOCUMENTS and there it was, not just her documents but I also found the travel arrangements.

My guess is if she wanted to do the same thing she could.

I thought by having seperate accounts that my files would be protected as would hers from anyone else using the computer.

This is my first mac so is there anyway to correct this problem so it does protect my files?

Thanks.

Can't understand this I have the same setup and can only open my own documents in my account. In finder there is no open all documents option.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
FYI: In Leopard the "All Documents" item is under the Search section on the sidebar of Finder.

However, as the admin of the computer, I cannot see any documents that are within the home folder of my wife's non-admin account on this machine, nor vice versa.

While logged into your account, please do a Get Info on one of the documents that are supposedly located in your wife's account and post back what it shows in Where:

Both your and her documents, if you are indeed storing them in the correct place, will be found in Users/YourAccount/... and Users/HerAccount/... My best guess, they're not being stored there, but instead in the root.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.