Problem installing Windows XP SP2 via Boot Camp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Hey guys, I've been having a problem trying to install windows XP Pro with sp2 with bootcamp. It goes through the install and then finishes, then it restarts and it says boot failure...or something of than nature, like " boot...failed...pres any key to continue."
Am I supposed to hold the option key to go back to OSX and select what i want to have it boot off of first? I am in class right now and will try it again around when i get home n about 6 hours to tell you more in better details. Anyone with similar problems?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a bad install or ineligible install (attempt) of XP.

What kind of XP SP2 version did you install? Be sure to read the Boot Camp instructions as to what versions of XP SP2 can be used. Very briefly - Only a full install (no upgrade) MS boxed version of XP SP2 or full install of an OEM System Builders XP SP2 CD can be used.

Regards.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I tried installing the XP professional with SP2. it says on the printable instructions that I can download it. It will go through all the download and it will finish, then when it says restarting computer, it says" Disk error", "press any key to continue". I'm not sure what to do. :-/
I have tried it many times and it comes up with the same exact result. The disk is brand new! and it is the full version.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I tried installing the XP professional with SP2. it says on the printable instructions that I can download it. It will go through all the download and it will finish, then when it says restarting computer, it says" Disk error", "press any key to continue". I'm not sure what to do. I have tried it many times and it comes up with the same exact result. The disk is brand new! and it is the full version.

By "download" I'm assuming you meant "install" - not actually download XP Pro SP2 from somewhere?

I'm still wondering if the version you attempted to install is eligible to use with Boot Camp? Can you point me to where you purchased it from or give details about it? Many full install copies of XP Pro SP2 that can be purchased from internet sales are illegal. Lots of pirated or so called "corporate" XP Pro copies are still being sold. I don't mean to imply you've done anything illegal. I'm just trying to determine why it won't install.

Regards.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
yes, i'm sorry, meant to say install. I am just starting to notice something. I have 2 xp disks. Both are the full versions, BUT, one looks fake! The one that looks fake is the one that I have been trying to install. However, I have used this disk before and authenticated it on microsofts website. If you see this disk compared to the one I bought at Comp-USA, it looks like someone placed the holographic sticker right on top of the disk, not like the original one that is printed on. You think this is the problem? I know someone else on here is having the same problem. I will be furious if this is really a fake because I was at bestbuy one day when the guy said that they would not let him return his xp pro...so i bought it off of him for 50 bucks. It somehow still works fine on one of my pc's though.....AGGGGHHHHHH

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the disk authenticated with Microsoft (Genuine Windows Advantage Validation) then it should be a valid XP Pro SP2 disk. However, if you have another that you know is likewise good, try using it instead.

It might be best to start over completely: Boot to OS X, run the Boot Camp Assistant once more, select create, select remove partition. Reboot the machine and start over. Let us know.

Regards.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
the other one isn't with SP2 unfortunately. I have tried it 3 more times tonight, it looks promising at the end, but I get let down like all the other times with the same exact problem!
"Disk Error'
"Press any key to continue"

I wish someone knew what the problem is/was.... till then... :-(

I even tried partitioning the drive with more/less space, but neither of them worked. I tried looking online for some help but can't come across an answer, just the same problem with no answers...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said before in my other reply, it's probably best to start over. However, instead of creating a new BC partition after you restore everything to OS X, boot your machine with the original install media DVD and run Disk Utility.

Select Utilities from the top menu, then select Disk Utilities. Run verify and repair on your Macintosh HD. If everything OK, boot normally and create a new BC partition and attempt to install Windows again.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.