iMac Wireless Internet Connection Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Aluminium iMac 2.4GHz Intel Based 4GB RA
Hi all,

Past week or so my wireless has been playing up, all other devices on my network are working absolutely fine, e.g. Windows PC's, iPhone, Xbox 360. Sometimes I just can't see my network at all but most of the time I can see it and connect but just cannot access the Internet. The weird thing is, even though I'm connected I can't even access my router settings. A wired ethernet connection will work normally and a temporary fix seems to be to log into a guest account which connects, then when I log back into my account everything seems fine for a couple of days. This would lead me to believe it is a software related issue? Any help appreciated as its becoming a little frustrating.

Thanks

OP
milkybarkid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi all,

Past week or so my wireless has been playing up, all other devices on my network are working absolutely fine, e.g. Windows PC's, iPhone, Xbox 360. Sometimes I just can't see my network at all but most of the time I can see it and connect but just cannot access the Internet. The weird thing is, even though I'm connected I can't even access my router settings. A wired ethernet connection will work normally and a temporary fix seems to be to log into a guest account which connects, then when I log back into my account everything seems fine for a couple of days. This would lead me to believe it is a software related issue? Any help appreciated as its becoming a little frustrating.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My comment is that one of the biggest difficulties with remote help is lack of info. eg you say my router - why not say my Netgear DG834 or whatever. Also are the other units all wireless? What is providing the wireless - the router or an airport?
My take is when trouble shooting break the system down to it basics and start from power up. With use and heaps of units on a LAN temp settings can be changed on the fly but powering off everything and adding it back together piece at a time starts to highlight where potential problems are. So turn everything off then power up router, then the airport if there is one - then the iMac. Is everything Ok at that point - use it for a bit to make sure - if no go back to ethernet and check it all with that. Then a question on a forum would have less choices when it came to a suggestion from a forum reader.

OP
milkybarkid
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Collin, thank you for your reply. Looking back at my post I can see that it isn't detailed enough as you say. I will take note of what you have said and make my posts a lot more thorough and detailed in future. I have tried a lot of work arounds and several different trouble shooting steps, I just thought I'd make a brief post on forums to see if anyone had experienced similar issues themselves. If I find no solution in the near future myself I will make a more detailed post and again if that doesn't work I think I will be paying a visit to an Apple store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Rereading this has caused another memory to surface - one of my earlier sessions, cannot recall if it was D Link or Linksys but could not get admin page in Safari but was able to in Camino. Never did figure why.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To back what Collin just said, I had a older router once that would not work right on the admin page with anything but IE just like some IE specific sites. Even Firefox on my then Windows laptop would not get me in and when it did go in the page was all wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.