Data Transfer Problems - new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac IBook, iPhone, iPod
I have a new iMac, OS X 10.5.1, the 2.66 gHz, $1499 one. I'm replacing the iMac G5, running Tiger. The file transfer is not happening betweeen old and new. It seems the firewire terminals have changed and I can't plug the old into the new. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a new iMac, OS X 10.5.1, the 2.66 gHz, $1499 one. I'm replacing the iMac G5, running Tiger. The file transfer is not happening betweeen old and new. It seems the firewire terminals have changed and I can't plug the old into the new. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I understand.... Your older G5 has a FW 400 port and your new iMac likewise has a FW 400 port and a FW 800 port. Why can't you plug the old into the new? Are you using the correct cable and port(s)?

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Both of your iMac's have FW 400 ports. Only the very latest iMac's, and as yours shipped with 10.5.1 it can't be one, have FW 800 only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Old G-5;old PowerBook G4. Just ordered a new iMac 2.66 GHz!!
data transfer

How can I tell what firewire I have, and if I will be able to use target disc to move my information from an older G-5 (OX 10.4.11) to a new 20" iMac 2.66?

Can you suggest the best tutorials to watch? Mostly concerned about photos, itunes, and emails.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.