Shrinking MacBook HD

Reaction score
I was running out of HD space so last week I moved all my music to an external HD to free up a lot of space. A week later I had an "insufficient space" error come up when I tried to copy a large folder to the HD. I looked at the HD's info and saw that the "total capacity" now read as 55.7GB - while the HD is supposed to be 80GC capacity - the space I had left wasn't enough to accommodate the folder I was importing, hence the error. Where would that space have gone - why is my HD now only 55GB? I can't for the life of me think what's happened.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

James

MacBook - 2Ghz CD - about three years old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might want to download and install "Disk Inventory X" which will give you a graphical view of what space is being used on your internal hard drive.

Link (It's free.)

I'm not sure why you received an error importing a folder if there was 55 GB of remaining space on your HD. Unless of course the folder itself exceeded or was close to 55 GB!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I was running out of HD space so last week I moved all my music to an external HD to free up a lot of space. .

How did you transfer your music from iTunes to the external hard drive? I have been wanting to do that but don't know how. My apologies for this is not an answer to your question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You don't by any chance have a bootcamp windows install set for about 25 gig, do you?

I'd take a look at your disk utility and see if your HD is partitioned (assuming you don't have a bootcamp partition). It almost sounds like you've got a second partition on the laptop that is using the rest of the space...

OP
J
Reaction score
You might want to download and install "Disk Inventory X" which will give you a graphical view of what space is being used on your internal hard drive.

Link (It's free.)

I'm not sure why you received an error importing a folder if there was 55 GB of remaining space on your HD. Unless of course the folder itself exceeded or was close to 55 GB!

Regards.

Thanks, that program is dope, but alas doesn't help as the problem is HD space my OS is no longer recognising.

I have no partitions, no bootcamp - just a shrinking hard drive.

Any help welcomed!

Thanks,

James

Reaction score
possibly a stupid question, but you deleted your music from the macbook, after you moved it to the external HD yes?

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes.

It's not that I don't have the free space, it's that the space isn't there - used or otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.