Mac Mini turns on but says to turn it off

Reaction score
Mac Mini turns on but says to turn it off. The apple appears and then the screen goes funky (looks like DOS in black and white) and says to turn the computer off. I ran the computer in Target Disk mode and did a repair disk with disk utility. It said the computer seemed fine.

The computer is an intel mini and the monitor is a 50+ inch. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

Keith

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That my friend is a Kernel Panic. A lot of KP's are caused by defective RAM or other hardware. Have you installed any after market RAM?

Also do you have the OSX Install DVD that came with your Intel Mini? If so run the Apple Hardware Test and see if it finds any errors with the hardware. I am pretty sure on the Intel Mini to boot the AHT, startup with the OSX DVD in the drive and hold down the D key right after the startup sound and keep it down till the AHT screen comes up.

I will double check to be sure that is the correct way to boot up the Apple Hardware Test and get back to you.

Just curious? What are the basic specs on that Intel Mini?

Edit: I was correct but read this URL as the AHT is on a different DVD depending on which you have.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Do report back and let us know what the AHT shows. I would run the extended test. It takes a while but finds more issues.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks dtravis7,

I will do this asap and report back. I haven't done anything to it since I bought it about a year ago except update an add software. It is only used sparingly for presentations. I am happy that it is not my main computer. As for the specs... I actually don't remember since I use it so much less than my main box. I just looked at the drive with Disk Utility and I didn't see anything useful.
Other than finding my old paperwork is there a way to find the info? Sorry to sound so inept?

Sincerely,

Keith

OP
K
Reaction score
It got better on it's own. Go figure. I ran the AHT and it said everything is ok. Thanks for the help though. Nice to know that people are looking out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.