TC hates my PC and port forwarding

Reaction score
I'm trying to forward a port for a PC on my network that uses Time Capsule as the router. I assigned my PC a static IP, have NAT Port Mapping Protocol enabled, and mapped the port in question. I connected my PC to the network, surfed for a few minutes and then suddenly nothing would connect. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Somewhat unrelated, TC boots my PC off the network randomly and unlike my old Linksys router, I have to manually reset my Vonage whenever I change any settings on TC. Why does TC hate everything non-Apple? :Grimmace: Please help! I"m seriously considering switching back to my old Linksys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My guess - u have one static IP address and DHCP for the rest. How about all or nothing viz all with Static IPs or all on DHCP and if you are using an airport make it bridge mode. Better still, give more info - equipment and models of units in your LAN.

OP
D
Reaction score
My guess - u have one static IP address and DHCP for the rest. How about all or nothing viz all with Static IPs or all on DHCP and if you are using an airport make it bridge mode. Better still, give more info - equipment and models of units in your LAN.

Yes, when I tried to do the port forwarding, only the PC had a static IP. Prior to that, everything was automatic, and that was when TC would boot my PC off the network. The network has the following devices: 2007 MBP, late 2008 unibody MBP, an Asus laptop running Windows XP, all-in-one printer, X360, and PS3. The Vonage system runs through the router as well. No Airport, just the TC.

One time I tried doing port forwarding without static IPs and I guessed the correct IP for the PC. After a few minutes, my PC's Network Connection Status gave me an IP address conflict error before reconnecting to the network with an new IP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seems to me that you have so much gear on the LAN that you have 2 approaches, needle in the Haystack or Shut it all down and introduce a piece at a time until you have a conflict then zero in on possible settings that might be the issue.
Make sure you have only one unit handing out the DHCP addresses and is any of this LAN wireless and if so, is the Time Machine doing the wireless and if it is, is it in Bridge mode if the modem is handing out IPs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Seems to me that you have so much gear on the LAN that you have 2 approaches, needle in the Haystack or Shut it all down and introduce a piece at a time until you have a conflict then zero in on possible settings that might be the issue.
Make sure you have only one unit handing out the DHCP addresses and is any of this LAN wireless and if so, is the Time Machine doing the wireless and if it is, is it in Bridge mode if the modem is handing out IPs.

How do I find out what's handing out the DHCP addresses? Everything on the network is connected wirelessly except the printer and the Vonage. Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you are still being tight with the info. Assuming u are on ADSL or DSL then you will have a modem or modem/router and that is the unit that is usually set to DHCP by default. If that is the case and the TC has been connected out of the box its default setting is probably 'share public IP'. If on Leopard and go into Airport Utility/Manual Setup/Internet/Connection Sharing and set to Bridge mode. Tiger is similar but you have to start by selecting Show to Airport.
Then power up Modem, TC and one of your MBP to see if i operates happily then introduce other units progressively. Bear in mind i have no idea of what Vonage does in this mix, so you will need other advice for that.

OP
D
Reaction score
you are still being tight with the info. Assuming u are on ADSL or DSL then you will have a modem or modem/router and that is the unit that is usually set to DHCP by default. If that is the case and the TC has been connected out of the box its default setting is probably 'share public IP'. If on Leopard and go into Airport Utility/Manual Setup/Internet/Connection Sharing and set to Bridge mode. Tiger is similar but you have to start by selecting Show to Airport.
Then power up Modem, TC and one of your MBP to see if i operates happily then introduce other units progressively. Bear in mind i have no idea of what Vonage does in this mix, so you will need other advice for that.

Thanks! Yes, I'm on DSL so I'll give Bridge Mode a shot.

OP
D
Reaction score
I switched to Bridge mode but it's more or less the same story. I haven't tried checking to see if port forwarding works, but my PC is still getting randomly dropped from the network (at least a couple times a day). After being dropped, it takes several attempts (doesn't connect at all or stays on acquiring network address until it gives up) before it finally reconnects.

Sorry for not being so forthcoming with the information. I'm really not sure what information is relevant, so please let me know what would be helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are getting to the end of my efforts here. The only other area i would check in the hope that it would sort the random dropouts is to ensure that the PCs have the DNS numbers for your ISP entered. My experience is that apple units like having that info and it might help the TC

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.