installing ram into MacBook, early version 2008

Reaction score
I went to install my 2mb chip and was expecting to see another 2 mb chip in there, giving me 4mb. but whats in there is 2 512K chips, so i currently have 1 mb. What do I do, can I take one out and replace with the 2mb for a total of 2.5 or can I take out both and just have one at 2mb. I thought I remember hearing something about you have to have the same in both slots. Help? Thanks - I have 2.1 ghz intel core 2 duo, currently with 1gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. The 2gb chip is ddr2, Kingston pc2-5300, the tech sold me at Best Buy .

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple ships their machines with the memory slots populated. That means a MacBook with 1 GB of memory will have 2 x 512 MB chips installed.

You'll need to purchase another 2 GB chip from Kingston (Best Buy) in order to bring your MacBook up to 4 GB. Make sure the 2 GB chip you purchase is exactly the same as the one you already have.

Regards.

OP
W
Reaction score
Do I have to get it from them best buy? Can I just get the same thing from whereever? And so I need to populate both slots? thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why would you need more than 4 GB, in fact what do you plan on doing that needs more that 2 GB? Why not try the 2 GB chip and see how much you use on day to day stuff. i use MenuMeters so i can see the usage at all times so that way you would know how quickly you allocate your 2 GB

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do I have to get it from them best buy? Can I just get the same thing from whereever? And so I need to populate both slots? thanks
You can get the RAM from wherever you want as long as it meets the required specs for your machine.

OP
W
Reaction score
I will be using alot of stuff at once and I plan also to have to use VMWare so I can use Publisher, which I dont want to use, but have to as Im getting some things that are in that format and no way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
4GB is the max. Plenty to run a VM, plenty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.