Window positioning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 5300C, Mac 7200,Mac G4,MacBook,Time Capsule, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iMac
I have a problem with windows opening all over the place.
I find that very annoying.
Is there a way so they will open in the left top corner of the screen?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When you open an app, it's window will open in the position it was in when you closed the app.
afaik, if you want them to open in a particular position, you'll need to close them while in that position.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Some have their own sets place to open.
Pages and Numbers '09 for instance open in the middle of the screen after users complained about them opening on the left in '08 :)
Still as bobtomay stated ~ most reopen where they were last closed.
S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
From the Leopard Guidelines:
New document windows should open horizontally centered and should display as much of the document content as possible. The top of the document window should butt up against the menu bar (or the application’s toolbar, if one is open and positioned below the menu bar). Subsequent windows should open to the right 20 pixels and down 20 pixels. Make sure that no part of a new window overlaps with the Dock.

[...]

For nondocument windows, the preference is to open new windows horizontally centered.... The vertical position should be visually centered: The distance from the bottom of the window to the top of the Dock (if it’s at the bottom of the screen) should be approximately twice the distance as that from the bottom of the menu bar to the top of the window. Subsequent windows are moved to the right 20 pixels and down 20 pixels. Make sure that no part of a new window overlaps with the Dock.

[...]

If a user changes a window’s initial size or location, maintain the user’s choices the next time the associated file or window (in the case of a single-window application) opens. If a user opens, moves, and closes a document window without making any other changes, save the new window position....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.