Using a Windows Keyboard w/RDC to run a Windows Machine

Reaction score
I recently got set up to VPN into my work Windows XP machine to do some work from home. I am using a MacBook Pro laptop, and can currently get in and access the system with Windows Remote Desktop Connection for MAC. My problem is that I need to run an AS400 system, which I can do, but I need to use a windows keyboard with windows navigation keys that the AS400 system uses (page up, page down, function keys, etc.) to properly navigate through the system.

When I plug in my PC keyboard the Keyboard Setup Assistant window opens up and tells me to "press the key immediately to the right of the Shift key on the left side of the external keyboard." It says that "when the key is recognized, the next panel will appear." I pressed the key, but nothing happens, and it won't set up the keyboard.

Any suggestions? Is it even possible to set this keyboard up to use on my MAC to run a RDC session on my Windows XP machine?

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I think your best bet would to use bootcamp because keyboard like them would be using special drivers so I think you would need them installed client side and server side. I also think you would need a VNC or a remote connection software that would pick up on special character entries.

OP
M
Reaction score
I do have VMWare installed on my laptop with a Windows XP Pro virtual machine set up. Do you think I could use that instead of setting up a boot camp partition? I can do that, but I thought it would be easier, and faster to directly log in through RDC on the MAC side, but looks like I can't get the keyboard functions to work unless I go the other route.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I would try using VMWare through mac first and if its a no go I think you would have to install XP via bootcamp and go that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.