using a 1.875 A Power Adapter on a Powerbook G4 that needs a 2.65 A PA ...

Reaction score
I just broke my Power Adapter for my Powerbook G4 and I purchased an old adapter from a friend, the thing was parctically the same but when I checked the inscriptions on it there were a couple of differences

system info : Powerbook G4 PPC 1.5 G 15" silver

here is what is written on both seperately:

the original adapter (I guess since I bought the computer used)
input: AC 100-240 V 50-60 Hz
outout: 24.5 V 2.65 A

the other one that I just bought
input: AC 100-240 V 50-60 Hz
output: 24 V 1.875 A

is there any danger using the last one ??

MTI

Reaction score
First, I would check the Apple website's specs for your Powerbook to be sure what the original power adapter was rated at.

Second, for recharging the battery, the slightly lower DC voltage and different amperage, will just mean that the battery will take slight longer to recharge.

Third, the lower voltage and amperage is unlikely to harm the computer in "normal" use . . . but that's to say there is some risk that the power adapter will tend to get warmer when the system is drawing a lot of power, like powering the LCD, spinning the hard drive and optical drive all at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
Your Powerbook should be used with a 65W power adapter. If the battery runs completely flat and you plug in a 45W adapter hoping to continue using it, it will not start until the battery has charged, as it can't supply sufficient current on it's own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.