wrong adapters with wrong notebooks

Reaction score
Hi

I have both 65W and 85W AC adapters and a MacBook and a MacBook Pro and didn't realise until today that 65W is for use with Macbook and 85W = Macbook Pro.

Is there a problem with using the 65W on the MBP and the 85W on the MB?

Thanks
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
You shouldn't really switch them as each MB and MBP (and indeed different generations of each MB and MBP) are designed specifically to be charged via a certain power rated charger. I'd keep each for it's own Mac.

Reaction score
You shouldn't really switch them as each MB and MBP (and indeed different generations of each MB and MBP) are designed specifically to be charged via a certain power rated charger. I'd keep each for it's own Mac.

Not quite. The 85W adapter for the Macbook Pro can be used for both machines, as it changes its output voltage/amperage depending on what it's plugged into. The 65W adapter, however, is not capable of outputting the 85W required for the Macbook Pro.

Summary: You can use your MBP adapter for both, but the MB adapter needs to stay on the MB.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Have I done any harm to the MBP by using the 65W adapter a couple of times?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Not quite. The 85W adapter for the Macbook Pro can be used for both machines, as it changes its output voltage/amperage depending on what it's plugged into. The 65W adapter, however, is not capable of outputting the 85W required for the Macbook Pro.

Summary: You can use your MBP adapter for both, but the MB adapter needs to stay on the MB.

My mistake miles01110 ;)

Thanks for the responses. Have I done any harm to the MBP by using the 65W adapter a couple of times?

I'm not sure if if this is the case but if you think about it the MBP won't charge properly, so I guess there could be some damage to the battery as it's not being charged at it's required power rating.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
It would just charge more slowly. I use a MacBook charger a few times a week on my pro for months.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.