AdiumX

B

Billys95

I have had my Mac (my 1st ever 1) for 6 days now & after trying MSN messenger for Mac, Mercury Messenger & Adium X, I have decided on keeping Adium & getting rid of the rest. I think it is excellent. Just wondering what other people use?

Cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For doing multi Chat Adium X is one of the best I have used on both the PC or Mac. I also like Proteus but it costs where Adium X is free. Also I have had better luck with Adium X and Direct Connects than with Proteus. Since I do a lot of Transfering Pics with friends in different states, Adium X did it for me. If you are just using AIM then IChat works great but if you need Yahoo, MSN, ICQ ETC. Adium X is hard to beat. There is also another multi chat client called Fire. I know it works very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
I've tried Proteus, Adium, Fire, Mercury, MSN, ICQ.

I ended up with Proteus after using Adium for a while. I think it's better, even if it's not free.
And of course iChat.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, Ichat does .mac and AIM. Most of my close friends and family use AIM and with that it works with sending pictures where no other client will. but if you need MSN then you can not use Ichat.

OP
B

Billys95

Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent £100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yes, that is sad that you don't get to enjoy the perks of having an iSight, when you have no one with another iSight or Aim. But if you're too desperate, I'm sure, you'll find someone to chat with using your iSight on the forums.

You could check out the app Delicious Library, just hold your DVDs up the iSight cam and presto, the program imports that DVD title into your library collection without even typing a thing.

Here's a link: http://www.delicious-monster.com/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.

OP
D

d-funct

As far as I know only ichat supports the isight at the moment and after a bit of looking on the adium forums it seems that they will only support it when gaim (the underlying code) has support for it ... so it could be a long time :(

That said I love adiumX for me its been nothing but fast stable and easy to use, although it is missing a couple of features like a decent file transfer system (which should be in the next major release)

Reaction score
dtravis7 said:
Won't Yahoo Messenger work with ISight? I know the PC version works with cameras. Never really checked out the Mac version as I love multi Chat clients. I wonder if Adium or Proteus support cameras on Yahoo? Never tried it.

Yes, Yahoo Messenger supports the iSight, but it tends to be a bit crashy (in my experience).

Adium doesn't support video chat now but they are planning to add it sometime way down the road via the gaim-vv project.

I don't keep up with Proteus enough to know their plans, but I know they don't support video chat now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Speaking of transfers and stuff, anyone know where Adium supposedly downloads transferred files to? I can't figure it out for the life of me, and since most of my friends have AIM, it simply doesn't work with them. In case I transfer with other Adium people it'd be useful to know, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the iSight works with Yahoo but you do not get very good picture quality and no audio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Billys95 said:
Thats my problem, no one i know uses AIM, just MSN so it looks like I've spent £100 on an isight that will never get used. Although I think Mercury messenger will develop webcam support very soon....whether it will compatiable with different types of IM is a different question
Why not use iSight with iChat? having 2 chat clients on should be no worries; I used to do that with ICQ and AIM + Pirch IRC back in my windows days

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5
I use mercury messenger because you can do video conference on it ;)

OP
B

Billys95

solidstalin said:
I use mercury messenger because you can do video conference on it ;)

Can u have a video conference between mercury & msn 4 mac?? I tried mercury myself & was under the impression that video functionality was still under development plus AdriumX looks a lot better

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I have used most all of them and so far I find Proteus to be the best. Ive said it a couple times before, but I think the next Adium release might fix a lot of annoying things and Ill probably stay with Adium after that, unless of course Proteus knocks them out of the water again :) I use whichever I find to be the best at the time :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.