Does the DVI port on MBP give a digital and analogue signal simultaniously?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.0gHz, 250gb HD, 2gb RAM; Macbook 13" 2.0gHz, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM.
Hi,

I have one of the original Macbook Pros. It's a 17", 2.0gHz, 120gb HD, 2gb RAM, 256mb graphics. Does the native in-built DVI port put out a digital and an analogue signal at the same time?
I use the machine as a desktop with the native screen and a 20" secondary screen running on a DVI cable out of the DVI port. I am trying to get a 3rd display connected. I have bought a Gefen UDB to DVI Adapter, and it works. But it is too slow to cope with video. Would I be able to run the 2 monitors out of the native DVI port with one of those DVI-I Male to DVI-I Female & VGA Female adapters?
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Nigel

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.0gHz, 250gb HD, 2gb RAM; Macbook 13" 2.0gHz, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM.
The best option to run 2 seperate external monitors on a Macbook Pro

Hi,

I have a 17" Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 2gb RAM, 120gb HD, 256mg graphics. I currently work on this machine as a desktop. I have connected an external monitor to the native DVI port that I use as well as the native screen.
I want to run a DVI/VGA cable to my HDTV so as to use my computer as a media center when I'm not working on it. I have tried a Gefen USB to DVI Adapter - this works, but is not fast enough to play video, so is not the otion to connect to the TV and it is too slow to use on my external monitor. I have looked into getting a DVI-I Male to DVI-I Female & VGA Female adapter, but the downside of this is that it sends the same signal to both outputs, which would require both monitors connecting to this device to have the same resolution - which won't work for me.
So here's my question, how can I run 2 external, independent monitors effectively on my Macbook Pro? What is the best solution out there me? If you use 2 external screens, how have you done it?
Thanks for any advice!

Nigel

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there an adapter to split signal from MBP DVI port to DVI and VGA

Hi,

I'm looking for an adapter that will take both the Digital and Analogue signal from my native DVI port to a DVI output and VGA output simultaneously? Does anyone know of such a splitter?
Thanks,

Nigel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Only one thread is needed on this subject, thanks.

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone know of such a device?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.