Software Update Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
After I download all the correct software updates for my computer, the computer tells me that I need to restart in order to install these updates. Problem is, when it goes to turn off, the software attempts to install, but the bar that fills up to show installation progress just sits there, never moving. I have left it on all night thinking maybe it would just take a really long time, but nothing ever happens. Any ideas what this could be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like you might have gotten a corrupted update in the mix of things. Was this just software updates such as - iTunes, or was it also an Apple major update like 10.5.6?

What you can try to do is restart your machine manually and see if it boots correctly to OS X. If it does and the software updates have not been applied, you can delete and download them again. To delete: navigate to...

/Library/Updates/

Look for each update folder, ie: iTunes, and delete the entire folder and its contents. Don't delete the plist file or anything else.

Run software update again.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.