Installing a new harddrive

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I just bought a mac and Im new to the mac OS. I bought an aluminum macbook and I'm really liking how great it is, it starts in seconds when I open the lid and its so quiet, but I'd really like to have some more space on it.

I was looking at tigerdirect.ca and wanted to know if anyone can suggest a good harddrive that will work with the macbook so that it is just as fast/quiet as the original harddrive. I can't figure out to go with 5400 or 7200, does it really make a difference? I can't seem to find a 500gig HD that runs at 7200, and do the higher speeds cause more heat/sound?

Here's the main link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=2676&name=2.5-SATA-Drive&Nav=|c:1277|&Sort=0&Recs=10

These were the top ones I was considering:
-Hitachi Travelstar 7K320 320GB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM
-Seagate Momentus 5400.6 ST9500325AS Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM
-Western Digital Scorpio WD5000BEVT Mobile Hard Drive - 500GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA-300, OEM

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

Also, I've found tons of links on how to physically do the swap, but are there any links on how I load the mac OS on a new harddrive? formatting, etc?

Thanks

Reaction score
hey Chase

I got the Scorpio 500GB and it runs flawlessly on the unibody macbook. Installation is a breeze!

Completely silent and havent noticed any down performance from the original 160GB.

After you do the hard drive installation just load in the OS X DVD , power up the macbook and keep the command button pressed until you see that you can choose to boot up from the DVD, after that is quite simple next,next,next.

You need to set up a GUID partition table and format the Hard drive in the OS X Filsystem.

And you are set to go!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.