My printer isn't printing in colour

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Aluminium MacBook with 2GB DDR3 RAM and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics ;)
Hi there, I've just made the switch to Mac (and I'm loving it every bit too!)

However, there is one slight problem I'm having with my Mac (I have the new 2.0 Ghz Aluminium MacBook.

I have installed my HP printer (it's a DeskJet D2360) but everytime I print something that has colour in it, it prints it in greyscale/black and white instead of colour...

I definitely have enough colour ink because I plugged my printer into my old PC and printed something, and it printed fine in colour.

Help will be greatly appreciated ;) thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure you have the latest HP driver for OS X: HP Link to driver download

If you don't have the latest driver, download and install from the above link. If your driver is current, it may be a matter of setting up the printer for color. (Pretty much automatic for Windows, but sometimes not so for OS X)

When you select the D2360 for printing a dialog should open. The dialog will consist of several drop down menus. For example: "Copies and pages". By clicking on the down arrow, that should give you other settings to choose from. One of them will be color - grayscale, and so on.

Go through each menu and make sure all your selections are OK.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The dialog will consist of several drop down menus. For example: "Copies and pages". By clicking on the down arrow, that should give you other settings to choose from. One of them will be color - grayscale, and so on.
For example, in Word 2008, the option you want from the drop down list is "Quality & Media". After choosing that, there should be a check box for grayscale printing. Make sure that is unchecked.

There may also be a utility that comes with the printer that determines colour settings. Check to see if anything is available through that.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0Ghz Aluminium MacBook with 2GB DDR3 RAM and nVidia GeForce 9400M graphics ;)
Thanks guys, it turned out that I didn't have the correct drivers. Everything is working perfectly now though :)

Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my Canon Pixma ip4200, a hitherto reliable little workhorse. It's a 5-tank system, they're all full, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the print head - when I print a test page there's no inconclusive grinding or streaky bits, it just gives up after PGBK and rolls the paper through without even trying to print the other colours.

Canon suggested I reinstall the driver. I did and it made no difference. Does anybody have a clue what's going on?

Reaction score
Click start, settings, printers. In the printers, right click on your printer, and left click properties.
When the properties page comes up, on the bottom you should see a button called 'printing preferences'. Click on that, and then click on the 'Paper/Quality' tab. On the bottom there, you should see the selection for color/black-white - hit color, apply/ok, and apply/ok again, and try printing, and the color should be restored. 123 HP Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think thy have probably got it working as the thread is seven years old. See the date 04-22-2009.

Reaction score
I think thy have probably got it working as the thread is seven years old. See the date 04-22-2009.

In my case, the printer in question went to the tip sometime last year. But if manufacturers aren't going to put troubleshooting information in the manual, then maybe threads like this can help future people with the same problems.

Reaction score
123 HP OJ4632 Setup | 123 HP Officejet 4632 Install - 123.hp.com

Our Helproom Editor explains how to check and fix an inkjet printer that is displaying colours incorrectly. It's probably to do with the ink cartridges or their installation.

By Paul Monckton | 10 Dec 2013
When a reader had a problem with an Epson printer printing the wrong colours... we could help
When a reader had a problem with an Epson printer printing the wrong colours... we could help

Epson Stylus SX415

Our Helproom Editor explains how to check and fix an inkjet printer that is displaying colours incorrectly. It's probably to do with the ink cartridges or their installation.

QUESTION: My Epson Stylus SX415 isn't printing the correct colours in any images. The prints always seem to have a blue shade and no other colours are showing up. I've checked all the cartridges – cyan, magenta, yellow and black – and they are all nearly full. Why this is happening and how I can solve this problem?

HELPROOM ANSWER If you've just changed the ink cartridges, especially if you're not using original Epson ones, then there may be a problem with the cartridges themselves or the installation. However, assuming the printer has previously been printing correctly with these cartridges installed, this is most likely due to a clogged print head.

Your printer comes with a utility called 'Nozzle Check', which will test the nozzles in the print head and help you diagnose the problem. If you can't find this software, you can also run the nozzle check directly from the printer by using the menu buttons.

Users of other inkjet printers will find similar tools available, as this is a common issue with the inkjet system, especially if you haven't been printing for a while. Don't over-use the feature, though, as it can consume a very large amount of ink when cleaning the nozzles.

See all How to articles. Get free tech support in the Helproom Forum.

Visit Windows 7 Advisor and Windows 8 Advisor for more Windows advice. Or email our Helproom Editor for bespoke advice.
Tags:

Printing

123 HP OJ4632 Setup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lol nine years ago that would have helped enormously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
lol nine years ago that would have helped enormously.

And a big Hmmm…??? here…

But it almost sure looks like and smells a bit like SPAM to me, with a hint of help, and definitely belated. :Blushing:

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.