Installed Parallels and Windows XP

Reaction score
I installed parallels and XP on my new MacBook Pro and everything is fine except when trying to run my graphics programs like Illustrator CS4. Unfortunately, parallels is eating up all my 4 gb of memory and I can't open files once they're saved. Had I known, I would have installed Bootcamp and Windows first. Should I uninstall Windows and Parallels, then reinstall through Bootcamp? If so, how do I uninstall Windows?

Thanks for the help.

Jonathan

Reaction score
Check the memory settings you have running in Parallels. In both Parallels and Fusion you can change the amount of RAM you allocate to your virtual machine - you don't likely need to allocate more than 1 GB to your VM. I don't know the exact menu commands in Parallels (I use Fusion) - but in Fusion, you exit/shut down the virtual machine, go to settings and change the RAM allocation. Then restart your VM.

Neither Parallels nor Fusion requires much RAM to run XP.

However, your problem may not be the RAM - it may be the fact that virtual machines do not access the full hardware capabilities of your graphics card - they use a "virtual" graphics adapter. That may be what is causing your situation. But first try reallocating the RAM.

Good luck!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, your problem may not be the RAM - it may be the fact that virtual machines do not access the full hardware capabilities of your graphics card - they use a "virtual" graphics adapter. That may be what is causing your situation. But first try reallocating the RAM.

Right on. CS4 needs the hardware in addition to memory. He would be better off running it natively using Boot Camp or possibly asking Adobe to transfer his license to the Mac OS X version.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks SammySlim and chscag. I had tried reallocating the RAM. Too bad that wasn't the issue. I do in fact need to utilize the hardware to run CS4. My concern is if Windows was first installed on my Mac using Parallels, can I still run Bootcamp. Since I didn't use Bootcamp I'm assuming the hard drive has not been partitioned. Must I uninstall Windows first, before running Bootcamp? If so, can anyone tell me how to uninstall Windows? I'm hoping I don't have to erase everything on my machine.

Thanks

Jonathan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks SammySlim and chscag. I had tried reallocating the RAM. Too bad that wasn't the issue. I do in fact need to utilize the hardware to run CS4. My concern is if Windows was first installed on my Mac using Parallels, can I still run Bootcamp. Since I didn't use Bootcamp I'm assuming the hard drive has not been partitioned. Must I uninstall Windows first, before running Bootcamp? If so, can anyone tell me how to uninstall Windows? I'm hoping I don't have to erase everything on my machine.

The Windows installation on your Mac is "virtual" (as in a VM) and can be easily removed by deleting the VM from within Parallels. No partitioning involved. Very easy to do, however, I would leave the VM in place until the Boot Camp partition has been created and Windows successfully installed there.

When you're satisfied Windows is running OK and CS4 is working, then at your discretion Windows can be removed as I stated above.

Do consider transferring your license to OS X and running CS4 natively on the Mac side. In my opinion you might find that to be the better solution.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.