Is my Username visible on the network?

Reaction score
Hi guys! I have just joined the forum and I am a proud mac owner for the first time.

I know that when you are on a network(wi fi internet access), you leave behind your identity in logs concerning your IP address, and even your COMPUTER name

But for the sake of privacy, I was wondering if it is possible that someone can find out the USERNAME that i'm logged in as on my mac.

If so, is this kind of information usually left in logs in network logs?

How can i hide my logged in username?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Reaction score
Hi,
when you have a file sharing enabled, your mac has a name that is visible on a network (either via AFP, or SAMBA. I think that the default name for a user "Obama" will be "Obama's computer" or something like this. So in a way, other people could see the username. You can change the name under which your mac is visible in

Preferences>Sharing>File Sharing>Computer Name

and you can put what ever you want.

Note that if you are on a public hotspot and you don't want other computers to see yours at all (I'm talking only about AFP/Samba), just disable the File Sharing.

cheers,
Tex

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for replying Tex-Twil, I have disabled file sharing now :p
The last time I was at the hotspot, I left my File Sharing on, is it probable that my name was recorded in a log somewhere?
Or is IP address usually enough in logs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Disabling file sharing does not prevent you from showing up in the logs that you were on the network. What it does is prevent other people who are on the same network as you from seeing you in their network and being able to access your computer. If you have a password on your system they can't actually see any files, unless of course you put them in your public folder. And they also can't add files to your computer unless they put them in your drop box, so in reality they can't cause you any harm there. But you will show up in the logs.

Unless you are doing something very illegal though like terrorizing the country, or preying on children... you really have nothing to worry about if your name is in the logs.

Reaction score
Disabling file sharing does not prevent you from showing up in the logs that you were on the network.
I think we have to define what we're talking about.

When you're connected on a network there are logs of course, even if you disable file sharing. When you access the net, you the admin can see where you are connecting to and so on.

The initial question was if pple can see your mac's username and that's why I focused on the File Sharing.

Naturally, even if you disable the file sharing, it does NOT mean that you're anonymous on the net.

Tex

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, I am aware that the network will log activities, but I'm only concerned about my username showing up.

It seems that with file sharing disabled, that can be accomplished?

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.