Macbook Pro Screen died - need to access HD with a PC.

Reaction score
And the unfortunately acronym laden title says it all. My mbp screen has died. I think it's the nvidia graphics fault, and will be ringing apple support tomorrow. However I would rather like to recover my coursework from the thing before I send it off. The only other computer I have access to is a pc with an ethernet port and no firewire.

So, how can I either a) turn the mbp into an external hd that can be read over ethernet in order to access files or

b) take remote control of the mbp and tell it to put files onto an external hard drive?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Cpfoxhunt

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, if the machine still boots, and assuming file sharing is turned on, you should be able to boot it and connect it to the same network as the PC and access the drive.

Otherwise, you'd probably have to pull the hard drive out, purchase a program like MacDrive and connect it using an adapter to the PC.

It's much easier if you have another Mac. You can connect the two via Firewire and use Target disk mode to boot the one machine from the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.