any advantage of a Mac over a Windows PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi. me new i duffer! any advantage of buy-n a mac over a pc? thanks :Angry-Tongue:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

for starters, how about answering these questions:
what do you have now?
what do you normally do?
are you having any difficulties with your current platform?
if you are using a windows pc, what do you think your reasons to use a mac would be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
Also, how much are you willing to spend? Mac's are expensive relative to most other PC's.

Reaction score
Hi. me new i duffer! any advantage of buy-n a mac over a pc? thanks :Angry-Tongue:

Macs have plenty of advantages over the PC, but as the other guys said, it depends on what you want to with it. If you will be using it for wordprocessing, surfing and multimedia, get a mac. If you want a great all-around machine get a mac, and maybe install windows on a partion for playing games. If you want a gaming-rig, get a PC.

OP
D
Reaction score
I currently have a dell vostro and it is always slow at start up and constantly freezes . I here macs run good and are popular. I download lots of music (free music) and I copy lots of dvds woops I mean I back up my own dvd collection. Other than that I just do basic browsing on the web. As far as reasons why I would want to use a mac that is why I am asking you guys/gals. And budget is not a concern. If I want it i buy it. On a mac do you have to run everything thru stupid itunes?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there are alternatives to pretty much every application on a mac, such as itunes, as there is on a windows pc. so no, you don't have to use itunes, iphoto, imovie, etc.

if your main concern is stability, and you don't like doing the maintenence required to keep windows running at tip-top, then you may want to give a mac a try.
worse comes to worse, you can usually sell a mac without losing a lot of money, or you can run windows on a mac with one of a handful of programs (bootcamp, parallels, vmware).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
On a mac do you have to run everything thru stupid itunes?
What do you mean everything? If you are referring to media, no. You have choices just like you do on other OSes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
No there are alternatives to itunes. But in saying that itunes is a pretty good piece of software. Works much on Mac than it does on PC in my opinion.

Well you say your dell is slow and freezes a lot. Well if you buy a Mac, it will not have those problems I assure you. But you haven't said if you have used OS X or not. So I'd go to a store that sells Apples and see if you like OS X. And if you do I think your next computer should be an imac.

And good luck with your decision.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
No, there aren't any advantages.

Neither platform is better than the other.

It all comes down to personal preference.
There are several threads here that discuss this topic already.
Please use the Search button to look for them and review the information and opinions they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.