Malfunctioning since I've got it

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a white 13.3 inch MacBook which I bought in August 2008 for school purposes. Ever since I've gotten it, it's malfunctioned a lot - more than most of my classmates, who've had their MacBooks for about a year longer than I have. The latest problem I have is that it won't turn on, or when I get it to turn on, I only get the sleep light flickering at me. I've done everything the Apple site told me to do, and I've taken it to the person who fixes Macs at my school, but after a couple of turning-ons-and-offs it would no longer show me anything. I don't even get the blue/grey screen of death. I'm planning to take it back to the Mac-fixing person tomorrow. But, since I have a 3 year warranty on my Mac, can I send it back to the manufacturers and either ask for new parts or (hopefully) a new computer? It's incredibly annoying to have your MacBook work in a bit, then not, then work again...and the sad thing is that it's still kinda new.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Yes, I'd definitely call up Applecare. They will have you try a few things (troubleshooting) on the notebook. Then, generally they will either direct you to drop it by an Apple Store if one is near you, or overnight you a padded shipping box to send it in for repair. I had to do the same thing with a late 2008 MacBook Pro. They ended up replacing it with a new one which has worked fine ever since. My issue was a graphics card, so I have no idea what they will have you do for a boot/power issue. Please let us know how it goes for you. Good luck!
-Dave

OP
K
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't send it off for repair yet because I have exams until June, meaning that I'd have to use my MacBook the way it is for awhile first. Could the problem be a hardware issue instead? When I want to turn my MacBook on now, I'd have to press hard on my power button (and now, even using a pen to jam it down). Right now, it's just sitting there flickering its sleep light at me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If eventually when it starts the power light flickers the problem wont be the power switch, part of the top case / keyboard assy. If you are seeing a repetitive blinking, it could be something as simple as a ram issue. Either way, you have a hardware issue and it could get worse and leave you with a non working Mac before your exams, so keep everything important backed up. The ideal solution would be to get it fixed ASAP. It may be different in Hong Kong, but here in the UK an AASP will look at a repair the day it arrives, unless near the day end, and order parts. If parts are ordered before 2 - 3 pm we have them the next day, so in ideal circumstances a repair only takes 1 - 2 days. It's worth checking with your local AASP how long the repair will take.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
i would reset the SMC and then Zap the PRAM and if that meant it was still no go then use the original install disk and do a Hardware check.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.