• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video Editing 16:10 in iMovie?

Reaction score
Greetings,

My first post here and I am new to the world of video editing, so if I am asking obvious questions I will apologize now :-D.

My problem is that I have recently shot some video in what I thought was HD resolution (1920x1200) AVI format (compression is h264), I have since learnt that this is infact 16:10 and not 16:9, my main problem is that I want to edit this in iMovie.

So, the first task I needed to-do was convert the video into something that iMovie can handle, so I used my copy of quicktime pro to get it into .mov and maintain all the quality, the file size went from 500mb to around 2.2gb, but this seemed fine for now as I thought I could easily compress it back to AVI or something similar once I have completed the edit.

All was going well until I realized that when importing movie clips into iMovie 09 it only seems to allow 16:9 (1920x1080), which is fine but then I am left with the choice of either cropping my movie at the top or bottom, or adding bars into the movie to create the new aspect, which again I don't really want to-do.

Would I be correct in assuming that my options are as follows?

1) Don't use iMovie 09 to edit my video and find some other Mac or Windows based software that will allow me to import 16:10 without cropping?

2) Reshoot the video from source again at 16:9

3) Convert it and live with either cropping or adding bars to create the new aspect ratio?

Any help on this would be appreciated and again, I am very new to this so my terminology and knowledge is more than likely not accurate :)

Thanks,

Richard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.