MacBook 2.0 gets very hot

Reaction score
So lately, I've notice that my MB 2.0 has been getting very hot. I'm using that iStat Pro program that tells me the temperature. How accurate is it? The hottest things are always: CPU A (131 F), Heatsink A / B (133F and 119F), and Northbridge 1 (122F). The rest are hovering around 100F.

Seems scorching hot to me for computer parts!! Also where the plug goes into the laptop, that area gets very hot. Sometimes so hot you can't keep your hand there.

I'm just worried since I've had a Dell before and the same things would occur, get very hot and than overheat and turn off.

I've been using the MB about the same amount as before. About 4hrs non stop, sometimes surfing and sometimes watching videos online.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
Are you surfing while in bed, or on another non-flat surface? If something is blocking any of the airflow openings you're going to get some super-heated components. Even just setting the laptop on the bed causes it to sink in enough to overheat substantially.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Always go by Celsius when checking CPU temps. That is 55 degrees Celsius which really is not all that high for a C2D if doing some work.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yup I keep it on a flat surface. Never use it on a soft surface because its bad.

The funny thing is, I assume its mostly Americans on this message board, and I'm a Canadian studying in the US, so I had to change the options to iStats to F before I posted this because it was all in C. All my American colleagues get angry when I talk to C hahah

Or when I say washroom, "Z" not Zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, and pop.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is interesting. I am American, born and raised here and use C for CPU and computer temps. Most people I talk to on forums or in person are the same way. Interesting. The numbers sound very hot in F but really it's not that hot for a CPU today. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Laptops gets hot. That's why they're no longer to go on your lap.

Seems scorching hot to me for computer parts!!

That's like putting your hand on your engine and saying it seems scorching for an engine! Computers get hot.

iStat just serves to make people paranoid. If your Mac gets too hot it will boost the fans to max or even shut down. I think we've yet to see a Mac shutdown through overheating on here yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook OSX 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 140 GB Hardrive 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Not to worry

Ive seen my Macbook hit around 98 C only when I am converting a 720 or 1080p blu ray version of a movie with an application called HANDBRAKE. other than that your macbook can run anywhere from 30 C to almost 100 C. Although I have heard that the shut off point for the Macbooks are around 120C so that the inside of the macbook doesnt melt or start to erode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD
131F is not bad for a Windows computer I know for the processor, so probably not bad for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I was beaten to the punch, but again, that's a pretty low CPU temp.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.