Flash, Firefox & OS X 10.3.9 PPC

Reaction score
Hi there, I have this very serious problem that I'm unable to solve even after weeks of googling and researching. I've tried a lot of suggestions from many websites but still couldn't solve the problem. I stumble upon mac-forum and hope this will be the place that can solve my problem once and for all.

I'm using Firefox 2.0 on a 10.3.9 PPC and I can't install the Adobe Flash Player 9 plugin into my Firefox. When I double-clicked the install_flash_player_9.dmg from Adobe, I got the Adobe Flash Player 9 image file with 2 files inside, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt. When I typed about:plugins in Firefox, it shows no plugins at all. When I go to flash websites like Adobe, Youtube, etc, it won't show the flash content.

Is there a way where I can manually install the plugins like copying and pasting the necessary files into a folder and magically make things work?

It's very necessary for me to play flash content and I'm kind of very, very depressed now because even Adobe didn't seem to care about solving the issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Flash Player just does want to work with Firefox 2 and no doubt you have been through dozens of forums reporting this trouble. Only solution maybe is to bite the bullet, upgrade to Tiger and run Firefox v.3 sadly.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I checked the install instructions and it says there is an install.pkg. In 9 like you downloaded there is none but in 10 there is and I checked the requirements for 10 and it should work. It has the installer. That is all I can suggest.

Reaction score
I seem to remember Flash Player 9 having an installer as well.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I seem to remember Flash Player 9 having an installer as well.

It did and the one I had here on my iMac G5 drive has just the installer. But the one they have up there now that says version 9 for 10.3.9 and before has just those two files the OP mentioned! Strange as version 10 has just the installer like 9 used to have.

Reaction score
I think the OP might have downloaded the wrong file. Try downloading Flash Player from Adobe's archive.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who cared to reply. I guess what harry said is right, I'd just have to stick with it, since I'm not getting my OS upgraded any sooner. Sigh~

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When I double-clicked the install_flash_player_9.dmg from Adobe, I got the Adobe Flash Player 9 image file with 2 files inside, Flash Player.plugin and flashplayer.xpt.
Have you tried placing these files in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/? Try that, restart Firefox and see if that works.

Reaction score
Have you tried placing these files in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/? Try that, restart Firefox and see if that works.
I posted a link above to Adobe's Flash Player archive. There's a 160MB zip file that contains every version of Flash Player 9 for every supported platform, and the one for Mac OS X has the regular installer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.