Macbook Pro: non removable battery?

Reaction score
Hi there,

Brand new to this site, and am a soon to be convert from PC to Mac. I'm looking into buying a Macbook Pro, as the 5 year old Compaq I use is too glitchy and not dependable for the music production I'm interested in getting into. In my research into the mbp, I noticed a quote regarding the battery on the Mac website:

"...Apple engineers custom-designed lithium-polymer cells to create the largest possible battery, then they went even further: They built the battery right into the computer, eliminating the space-consuming mechanisms and housings that standard removable batteries require."

My question is this: what happens when the battery finally dies? Can it really not be removed and replaced years down the road? Or is it just not a quick-release mechanism, requiring some tinkering to get it out?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Reaction score
The 17 inch Pro is not user replaceable. However it is replaceable. The 15 inch pros are user replaceable.

Reaction score
The battery replacement is $139 (can't remember exactly) or something, but it has to be done in store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.