Streaming video from mac to TV

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to wirelessly stream video from my mac to my TV. We've moved overseas and there are TV shows from home that we can only get by having friends record and send us the files. But I'm getting tired of watching them at my desk with VLC...I'd really like to stream them to my TV. Since they're not iTunes purchases, I don't believe AppleTV is an option. I've seen lots of PC solutions, but no good mac ones. Any ideas?

Reaction score
WDTV HD. Western Digital. It's a little box that you hook an external hard drive up to and can play almost any file type off of it. It's great. Check it out on their website. I couldn't be happier with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I just got an AppleTV a week ago and have been doing a lot of experimenting with it. You can use Handbrake to covert most anything to a format that AppleTV can handle. It's also possible to make something called a Patchstick that will let you add-on services like Boxee and XMPC. That patch also activates an SSH server so you can tap directly into the AppleTV and add extra codecs and upload videos that aren't compatible normally with iTunes.

If you want to know more, feel free to ask. I've worked out a lot of issues with being able to do what I want on it, and how to best handle files that normally won't play well (if at all) on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.