Word won't open

Reaction score
hi, i've looked around on here for people with the similar problem and i found a thread in which someone advised to delete the MS User Data file. I did this, and i still get the same error box... "the application MS Word quit unexpectedly"....relaunching just brings up the same box again and again. MS Word had been running smoothly for about a year on my macbook and i've had no problems. I came back after a weekend of not using my macbook, and suddenly I can't open any word documents...i have so much work i need to do! does anyone know what's going on? thank you so much

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Have you just applied any updates? If not, try applying the newest update from the mactopia site or through autoupdate.

If that doesn't work, it sounds like something has become corrupt. Try reinstalling Office.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which version of Word you're using, however, try this solution first:

Find and delete your "normal template". It may be corrupt preventing Word from opening. Word will create another the next time it launches.

The normal template in Word 2008 can be found here:

/Users/your user name/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/Normal.dotm

Before deleting normal.dotm, copy it to your desktop or somewhere it can be easily found.

If Word still won't open, you may have to uninstall and reinstall. Be sure to use the Office uninstaller when you do.

Regards.

OP
L
Reaction score
I tried deleting the template but that did not work. If i uninstall, my documents will not be deleted right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A bit late getting back to you.....

If you uninstall Office 2008 your documents will not be removed. Also, any user templates that you may have created will likewise be retained.

A bit of advice regarding Office 2008... Do not run any program that removes languages or kernels from OS X, specifically "Monolingual" as that will cause problems.

Let us know.

Regards.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
A bit of advice regarding Office 2008... Do not run any program that removes languages or kernels from OS X, specifically "Monolingual" as that will cause problems.
While I agree that running programs like monolingual and xslimmer carry risks, I have run both with Office 2008 and not encountered problems. To be fair though, YMMV.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Microsoft Office for Mac forum has specific warnings regarding Monolingual - not being able to install updates and folder removal are just some of the problems that can occur.

I have personally had to reinstall MS Office 2008 because of a problem caused by Monolingual. Not something I enjoyed doing.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.