Which one to go for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
Hi folks,

Been a while since I was on here last - I originally joined when I bought an iMac G5 but it ran terrible, needed a new keyboard and I got offered £100 more for it than what I paid which is good.

So I am now making the switch, firstly I'll tell you about what I am switching from to see what I should go for next...

A Dell XPS M1730, Core2Extreme 2.80Ghz, 4GB RAM, BluRay, 2X8800GTX SLI, 400GB Storage.

I've recently sold it to make the switch and got myself £1,800 and visited the Mac store on Saturday to consider what Mac I'll get for myself.

The two that stood out to me are as follows ... 15" Macbook Pro 2.66Ghz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Superdrive and then the iMac 24" 3.06Ghz 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD.

If I take the Macbook I will also purchase the wireless mighty mouse.

So, which to go for? I don't really need portability but we have a small desk it will be used on that the laptop will fit on with about 6" spare in depth.

The iMac will cost slightly more - but is it worth it? The increased screen resolution would be handy for using a few things at once but will the Macbook look and hold its value better?

Any views appreciated, I have until next Saturday to decide when I go into the Apple store in Glasgow and walk out with one.

Cheers,

Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well it really depends on what you need to do, if it's portability you're after then go for the MBP, if you don't need to carry it around then the iMac

both are amazing machines, I have the MBP and couldn't be more happy with my choice, although I have the lower spec version, but I absolutely need to taky my computer with me every day to different places

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My personal opinion: When I was in the market for a new Mac I went through the same sort of decision making you're currently undergoing. I finally decided on a portable machine (MacBook).

Why? Since a portable Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro) can be used very effectively as a desktop computer as well as a mobile machine the convenience of using it both ways was the deciding factor for me. I don't know if that matters to you, but if it does, then you might give consideration to that 15" MBP.

Regards and good luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I think you would prefer the iMac, I think it work well compaired to what you used to have. I am assuming that you had a reason to have SLI video cards, so the iMac will handle any type of gaming that you do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I would (and did) go for the iMac unless portability is something you really need. The 24" screen is stunning.

OP
Chris_B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
well it really depends on what you need to do, if it's portability you're after then go for the MBP, if you don't need to carry it around then the iMac

both are amazing machines, I have the MBP and couldn't be more happy with my choice, although I have the lower spec version, but I absolutely need to taky my computer with me every day to different places

I see what you mean, I'm not in any need of portability but understand how handy it can be.

My personal opinion: When I was in the market for a new Mac I went through the same sort of decision making you're currently undergoing. I finally decided on a portable machine (MacBook).

Why? Since a portable Mac (MacBook, MacBook Pro) can be used very effectively as a desktop computer as well as a mobile machine the convenience of using it both ways was the deciding factor for me. I don't know if that matters to you, but if it does, then you might give consideration to that 15" MBP.

Regards and good luck with your purchase.

I see, how do you find using it as a desktop ... for typing etc?

I think you would prefer the iMac, I think it work well compaired to what you used to have. I am assuming that you had a reason to have SLI video cards, so the iMac will handle any type of gaming that you do.

Sounds good, funningly enough I have had no reason to go for an SLI system... I got made redundant in my position (With Dell) last year and found a new job straight away and used a chunk of my redunancy money to buy the best laptop I could find (Dell XPS M1730) hence why I took this one.

I would (and did) go for the iMac unless portability is something you really need. The 24" screen is stunning.

I seen that in the Apple store, mega kudos for the display - I currently have a Dell 24" monitor I use for my Xbox 360 it'll be placed next to - think that might look out of place?

Thanks for the replies all, inputs greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
While you would be getting a bigger screen with the imac, the macbook pro holds it's value much better than the imac. You can also move it around, which becomes noticeable when you switch to the not-so-portable version, iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I see, how do you find using it as a desktop ... for typing etc?

I use my MacBook at home as a desktop by attaching a Samsung 22" display and Apple aluminum wired keyboard plus a Logitech mouse. No problem with viewing and typing. As I said above, it offers me the convenience of having both a desktop and portable machine.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.