web browser

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
this probably sounds terrible, but i can't figure out how to change my default web browser. i've looked all over. hmmmm.

K

Kokopelli

It is counterintuitive so do not feel bad. It is under "general" in Safari preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe
I Think 'PREFERENCES'

shimanok2 said:
this probably sounds terrible, but i can't figure out how to change my default web browser. i've looked all over. hmmmm.
I think,,,
That Safari, top left on desktop, under 'General' Pull down menu!
Good luck!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
shimanok2 said:

What browser is your current default, and which do you want to change the default to?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.2gHz g4, 12 inch, 60 gig, 768RAM, bluetooth, ATI radeon 9200, macally bluetooth mouse, JBL speaker
hey thanks guys. so if i want to change my default from lets say, firefox to Camino, then i still have to do it under safari? kinda strange, huh? i changed it to firefox by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yep that's how you do it. The same goes for Mail programs also. You change the default in Mail. Has to be about the most "Microsoftian" type thing Apple has done in their OS. Really they should just have some kind of system preference for it instead.

K

Kokopelli

Hmm, I wonder if they could be set via AppleScript. It would be pretty trivial to create s peference panel for it as long as it could be set via script and there is some way to populate the list...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Another thing I've noticed is that you can change the preferences through the Omniweb browser if you have that. So apparently this is an applicable preference you can put into any browser. By the way, is there anyway we could like, change the title of this to make it more apparent (Default web browser) or something, and put it as a sticky? I've seen this question asked more times than I can count, and I specifically remember asking this question on these very forums when I got my iBook a couple months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I use More Internet system preference pane:

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/12849

It works great for me and it's something Apple should do in the future.. they way they do it currently is rediculous.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.