• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Waiting for Timecode...Device must be in VTR mode when Device Control is enabled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad-Core
Hi there,

My computer is:

Mac OS 10.5.6
DUAL 2 GHz PowerPC G5
6 GB DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics Card: GEForce 6600LE

Running: Final Cut Pro 5.1.4

Camera: Sony HVR-Z1U

I'm connecting my Z1U through a 400 FireWire port on the front of my Mac. I run Final Cut, get the Log and Capture window up. My Capture Settings are "FireWire NTSC" and "DV NTSC 48 kHz". I can control the camera from Final Cut, BUT there is no image in the preview window (Preview Disabled). When I click "Capture Now", I see a black screen, then the error message "Waiting for Timecode. Device must be in VTR mode when Device Control is enabled."

I have recently switched editing suites and recently reinstalled Final Cut on this new/used computer.

All help would be greatly appreciated...thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad-Core
I found out what the problem is.

I had an external Canopus converter connected to another FireWire 400 port on my computer. Apparently it was interfering with FCP recognizing the camera.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.