USB to DVI Adapter for MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.0gHz, 250gb HD, 2gb RAM; Macbook 13" 2.0gHz, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM.
Hi,

I am new to the forum - just joined. I've used this forum for advice many a time and seen some very helpfull people on here, and thought I'd finally join as I have a question! :p
I have a 17" Macbook Pro that I use as a desktop at the moment. I currently run it in dual screen mode with a generic 20" display out of the native DVI port. I am wanting to connect it up to my HD TV, to play movies and TV shows. I am not a fan of unplugging and plugging things in as needed, I would much rather everything was just plugged in and ready to go. SO...here's my question, I am looking for a USB to DVI adapter that is Mac compatible and that has been tested by members here. I have seen the ViBook, and it looks great but I'm not sure I can justify spending £120 on an adapter. Are there any good adapters out there for less £££?
Many thanks for any input,

Nigel

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Why not just use a mini-display port to DVI?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The trouble is, it's not really an adapter as much as it is a graphics card that plugs into the USB port. That's why they're so expensive. USB is a data transfer bus. You actually need an additional graphics card as the internal one already has all of the devices attached to it that it can.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just use a mini-display port to DVI?

From what I gather, he has a pre-displayport model as he mentioned using the "native DVI port".

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.0gHz, 250gb HD, 2gb RAM; Macbook 13" 2.0gHz, 500gb HD, 4gb RAM.
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my first post.
I am using a 1 generation Macbook Pro which has a built in DVI port which I use for my 20" work screen. I want to have a second display out to my TV. I want to connect both the TV and screen at the same time so I don't have to disconnect one or the other when they're needed. I hope that is more clear...

Nigel

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107, yes I understand that it needs to be a graphics card and thus why they're quite expensive. I am trying to gauge whether the lower end of the market USB to DVI graphics cards are OK, or whether it's worth spending double the price on one such as the ViBook?

OK, I wasn't aware that there were lower-end solutions out there. The Village Tronic products are the only ones I'm familiar with.

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
cwa107, yes I understand that it needs to be a graphics card and thus why they're quite expensive. I am trying to gauge whether the lower end of the market USB to DVI graphics cards are OK, or whether it's worth spending double the price on one such as the ViBook?

OP
nigelivy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Anyone have any advice on this or recommendations for USB Graphics Cards?

Has anyone used the Sewell USB to DVI Video Card? If so, what are thoughts?

Hi,

I'm looking for a USB to DVI Graphics card, and came across the Gefen USB to DVI Adapter. Has anyone used it on their mac? How well does it work on mac?
Many thanks for any input!

Nigel

Hi,

I'm looking for a USB to DVI Graphics card, and came across the Gefen USB to DVI Adapter. Has anyone used it on their mac? How well does it work on mac?
Many thanks for any input!

Nigel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.