Apple unveils new PowerBooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Apple unveils new PowerBooks
September 16, 2003 - 05:03 EDT Steve Jobs has just introduced a revamped 17-inch PowerBook with a 1.33GHz G4 processor, 512K L3 cache, 2GB of maximum RAM, USB 2.0 ports, Mobility Radeon 9600, and a 2x SuperDrive. Also announced was a 1GHz 12-inch PowerBook with 512K cache, and USB 2.0. Finally, Jobs unveiled a completely new 15-inch PowerBook with a 1.25GHz G4 chip, up to 2GB of RAM, SuperDrive, backlit keyboard, FireWire 800 and 400, USB 2.0, and Bluetooth. All models are available today.

My Comments: Oh man.. I think I need to get myself another Powerbook.. how can I upgrade.. Ill figure something out! :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I'm witrh you, I think it is time to replace my old Ti powerbook. So I need to work both a G5 and a 15" powerbook into the budget. :D

T

the Helix

Nice, but...

The new 15" Al PBs are definitely nice with all its new features. However, I was sorry to find that it is thicker and heavier than the old trusty Ti Book. It also went back to a L2 cache and a weaker battery.

I think that I can wait till next year when the next generation 15" PB comes out with a G5 chip and Panther included. And maybe it will be as thin and light as its predecessor.

Cheers!

F

Fomer

Not me, and I couldn't be happier.... as I'm getting my PB in 11 days. This just makes it all that much better. :D

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
the Helix said:
The new 15" Al PBs are definitely nice with all its new features. However, I was sorry to find that it is thicker and heavier than the old trusty Ti Book. It also went back to a L2 cache and a weaker battery.

I think that I can wait till next year when the next generation 15" PB comes out with a G5 chip and Panther included. And maybe it will be as thin and light as its predecessor.

Cheers!
From what I have read. You wouldn't be seeing a G5 powerbook anytime soon, let alone next year.

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I agree with rman.. unless all of a sudden they have a huge breakthrough, I don't think we'll be seeing one until maybe 2005.. maybe. Of course there will be bigger and better Powerbooks out by then, but they'll probably be coming close to the maximum speed for a G4 by then.. Anybody have any idea how many Mhz they can get out of the G4 if pushed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
im still upset by the news. i knew it would come someday that my powerbook would be outdated but i wanted it to be in a long time so i wouldnt be pissed at myself for buying when i did. metal keys, backlit keys, firewire 800, usb2.0, bluetooth and extreme not to mention 1.25 ghz......i wonder if i can go to the apple store and tell them i wanna trade my powerbook for the new powerbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
trpnmonkey41 said:
im still upset by the news. i knew it would come someday that my powerbook would be outdated but i wanted it to be in a long time so i wouldnt be pissed at myself for buying when i did. metal keys, backlit keys, firewire 800, usb2.0, bluetooth and extreme not to mention 1.25 ghz......i wonder if i can go to the apple store and tell them i wanna trade my powerbook for the new powerbook

I feel the same way, as I'm dreading the news that an updated iBook has been released. However, this is how I look at it: I needed a new computer, and I've gotten a tremendous amount of use and enjoyment out of my iBook in the short time that I've owned it. There is simply no way I would/could have waited for a new release. Even if Apple released a new iBook tomorrow, I wouldn't be upset, because I would still wait for Panther's release before buying a new one. So I figure, I will wait until both Panther and an updated iBook have been released, then I will upgrade and kill two birds with one stone (since Apple will surely ship new Macs with Panther installed).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
yea i know what you mean padawan......i drove by my apple store after school but they arent getting the new ones in until tomorrow they said

R

Ripped85

ok...i think i want the 12" pb...how does it handle as a media desktop...like music and watching dvds and dloaded avi and stuff like that..if i hook it up with a 20" apple cinema monitor?

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25GHz, 1.3GHz PowerBooks benchmarked

1.25GHz, 1.3GHz PowerBooks benchmarked
September 17, 2003 - 13:12 EDT Bare Feats has posted benchmarks for the new aluminum 15-inch 1.25GHz PowerBook and 17-inch 1.33GHz PowerBook. "The new 15" (and 17") Aluminum PowerBooks don't seem to suffer from the missing level 3 cache. The larger on-chip level 2 cache seems to take care of business," reports the site. "The bumped up clock speed and Radeon 9600 graphics translate into better performance. Apple's going to sell a oodles of these."

My Comments: Very awesome! I want one! :)

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New 15" PowerBook jumps to #1 at Apple Store

New 15" PowerBook jumps to #1 at Apple Store
September 18, 2003 - 18:06 EDT* The new 15-inch PowerBook G4 has already overtaken the top spot on the "Top Sellers" list of the online Apple Store, after just being introduced on Tuesday. This is the first time a Mac has topped the iPod on the list in quite a while. Rounding out the top 10 are the iPod, the new Apple Wireless Keyboard, the Apple Wireless Mouse, Bluetooth Adapter, the new 17-inch iMac, the Brenthaven 15 Shoulder Case, the Belkin TuneCast, the PowerBook Power Adapter, and Office X for students and teachers.

My Comments: Rock on! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.