Looking to Switch to iMac

Reaction score
My wife and I are long time PC users (both currently have Dell PC's running Windows XP, mine a desktop, hers a laptop) but are considering the switch over to Mac and I'd like a little advice on which computer to make the move to. I am looking to replace our desktop first with a new iMac. On my current desktop I have a 3.00 GHz Pentium 4 processor with 1GB of RAM and a 60GB hard drive.

We would use this new iMac for general day to day usage (e-mail, browsing, music, possibly some basic video editing down the line for editing home movies, and some gaming, but not looking for a hard core gaming rig as I have a 360, ps3, and a wii, so my bases are covered there :)) I like the idea of the iMac being an all-in-one unit which will clear up a lot of clutter on my desk. Eventually I will be replacing the laptop with a macbook.

My thought was to go with the 20" 2.66 GHz core 2 duo processor base model with the 2 GB of ram and then upgrade the ram to 4 GB total. I am not really interested in purchasing a refurbished model, even though I know they are a quality product, I just like the idea of having a brand new toy. I was also toying with the idea of replacing my 300GB external hard drive with a 1TB Time Capsule in an effort to help clear up more of the clutter on my desk. I have had my current pc for 5 years or so now and I'm looking to get the same life span out of my new iMac. Any thoughts or advice on which direction I should go? Is the base unit enough for my needs or do I need to take a step up? Thanks in advance for your input.

KK1

Reaction score
Have you thought about a Mac Mini. You already have the monitor and every thing so...

Just a thought.

Edit to say - I just Bought my fist Mac the other day and cant be happier. I'm still learning but these little machines look promising. also i hooked up a 1 TB Mybook. for music, movies and pictures.

OP
F
Reaction score
I did give some thought to a mini, but I like the idea of going to the all-in-one setup of the iMac which will eliminate a lot of the clutter on and under my desk (Speakers, subwoofer, tower, etc.). The mini's do seem like a good idea though if I ever want to create some kind of a media center though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
the 20" iMac you describe will do everything you want plus more. i replaced my desktop pc with my iMac, and it's great, saves space, all-in-one. plus, if you find for some reason you need more "desktop" you can get an adapter for 20 dollars and hook up another monitor to it. it's all ready set up for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
that is what i wanna do when i get my iMac this summer.. dual monitors.. cant wait.

Reaction score
If you are going to upgrade to 4gb of ram, you are better off just buying the 24" iMac instead.

A 2gig chip on Crucial costs $40.00 for DDR3 memory.

So that makes the 24" $260 more, with that you get the larger screen, and double the hard drive space.

I am not sure what panel is on the new 20" model, but the last iMac 24" had an IPS panel for the screen and the 20" had a TN panel which isnt as good (not bad but the viewing angles are much better as well as the resolution on the 24").

Now coming from where you are with your Dell, you wouldnt really notice the difference they will both be a nice improvement and the 20" will easily fill your need.

But if you plan on keeping the iMac 5 years plus for and extra $52 a year I think it will be a nice investment.

Also the 24" will have much better resale value (and even after 5 years iMac's have great resale, look up a few older iMacs on Ebay.)

Good luck!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.