How to Create Shorter URLs with your iWeb/MobileMe sites!

Reaction score
After much frustration and tinkering with my own site, I finally found a decent workaround to the ugly URLs that iWeb gives you. This will allow you to shorten your URLs a bit, WITHOUT breaking any links or iWeb features such as blog comments.

Here is the link to my eHow article, which describes the solution.
How to Create Shorter URLs with iWeb / MobileMe | eHow.com

Please let me know what you think! I'm also subscribing to this thread if you have any questions.
(Note: I'd appreciate it if the entire thing doesn't get quoted here, or elsewhere.)

Note:
If you don't care about blog/photo comments or RSS feeds, then it's easy enough to remove the /sitename/ part of your URL entirely. Simply open your /sitename/ folder in iDisk, and paste the contents into the parent directory (the "Sites" folder.) Of course, this won't work when you have multiple websites on iDisk.

OP
H
Reaction score
I'm curious why someone would give this post a low rating, as I have never seen this solution described anywhere else.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, Time Capsule...
I have no idea why someone would rate it low, as I was just looking for a solution myself. I'll try yours out and see how it goes!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Because it goes against a number of SEO techniques, one of which is ending all URLs in .html if at all possible.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Udjamini, I'd appreciate your feedback after you try it :)

kpmedia, I don't know what you're talking about? The HTML files still exist, this is just for ease of navigation. You can easily point to the correct files in your sitemaps.

Reaction score
kpmedia, I don't know what you're talking about? The HTML files still exist, this is just for ease of navigation. You can easily point to the correct files in your sitemaps.
I didn't say a thing about HTML files, I said the URL should end with ".html".
Not the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.