Copy from Internal HD to External HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
My friend has lent me his external HD and I'm moving some stuff from it to my HD BUT my 320 GB internal HD is getting rather full. I do have a external 500GB HD for backup use via Time Machine.

2 Questions
How do I do a straight copy from my friends external HD to my External HD? (leaving space on my internal HD)

How do I copy a Folder on my internal HD to my external HD? then I can later remove the Folder from my internal HD to free up space

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Just plug both in, open up two Finder windows, point each one to the separate drives, and then drag files between the two. Do the same for when transferring between the internal drive and the external.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver

For some reason when I try to copy something from my friends external HD, to a folder in my External HD it says it can't be Modifyied and I need to Authorize. Seems weird to me

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your external drive formatted using the NTFS file system? Remember, from a Mac NTFS is read only.

Regards.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep it is aww so that might be why then.

Is your external drive formatted using the NTFS file system? Remember, from a Mac NTFS is read only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And Jen Tweetie is absolutely spiffing!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.