Airport Problem: Double NAT

Reaction score
So I've read the other posts with this issue, most seem to ignore it and it still works, I haven't done anything and my internet works fine, but does anyone know what the problem really is and what is the best thing to fix it.

My air port has 2 options for me, I attached a screen shot of it.

My airport is hooked up to my cable modem which automatically provides the IP and DNS addresses. My internet seems to work fine with this problem, should I ignore it or chose one of the options?

Picture 1.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is the brand and model of your cable modem?

OP
M
Reaction score
I'm not too sure, it was given to me by my ISP and there wasn't a name or anything major on it, on the underneath of the modem I found the model # and a name Ambit on some sticker with the FCC logo on it. The model # is u10c018. Don't know if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My limited understanding is that you have a deal that is redundant. You have an address that is being handed out and then handed out again because the airport is set to hand out DHCP instead of being bridged. The drama will occur when you have more units on your LAN and incoming data can't find it's way to the correct MAC - as in Machine Address Code - It does work but change the airport to Bridge, what is the problem with doing that?

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a similar configuration as you:

Code:
[I]public IP [/I]ROUTER [I]192.168.1.1/24[/I] ---- AirPort Express --- wlan --- my Macs

I'd recommend that you use the Bridge mode. In this case, the AirPort will just relay all the network communication into the wlan and your macs/pc will be in the same network as the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1)

If you use the "double NAT", your mac/pc would be in a new network as follows

Code:
[I]public IP[/I] ROUTER [I]192.168.1.1/24[/I] ---- AirPort Express [I]10.2.0.0/24[/I] --- wlan --- my Macs

It's called double NAT because if you wanted to open a port for an application, you'd need to redirect (NAT) the port two times:
- on your router to the Airport Express
- on your Airport Express to your mac

So if you don't have a special need where you want to have two different networks, I'd go for the bdridged mode.

hope it helps ;)

Tex

Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that your cable modem is also a router. Does it have multiple CAT5 ports on the back? If so, then it more than likely is and is already pushing out IP's via DHCP. I'm also basing my assumption on the fact that your airport is getting a private IP vs. a public IP that a regular cable modem would normally assign to the computer that's attached to it.

All that to say, I would recommend bridged mode.:D

Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that your cable modem is also a router. Does it have multiple CAT5 ports on the back? If so, then it more than likely is and is already pushing out IP's via DHCP. I'm also basing my assumption on the fact that your airport is getting a private IP vs. a public IP that a regular cable modem would normally assign to the computer that's attached to it.

All that to say, I would recommend bridged mode.:D
Yes right, my previous post will only work only if your modem is also a router but I also suppose that it is a case :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.