Mac Mini - blank drive

bic

Reaction score
Buddy of mine works in IT for this firm that was upgrading all their computers. He said he could get me a $200 2 Ghz. Mac Mini. As my current computer is a 7 year old PowerBook (and portability isn't an issue) I jumped at it. He's not a Mac guy - he just had access to the sale. The Mac techs were supposed to wipe the drive and then install a fresh copy of 10.5.

But low and behold, I get this bad boy and I turn it on and I get the lovely grey screen with the blinking file folder with a question mark. Great, no installed OS, right? I figure I can get a Leopard disc later and pop in my 10.4 retail disc, reboot and hold down the "C" key. Nothing.

Any ideas? Am I missing a step to install 10.4, or does that flashing file folder mean something else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
The retail version of 10.4 will not work on that computer because it is Intel. The only Intel versions of 10.4 were those that shipped with new systems. All the retail copies are for PowerPC only. Also, you can not install an OS version lower then what shipped with the system, so if the Mini came with Leopard, you will not be able to install Tiger on it. You will need to get a retail copy of Leopard.

OP
B

bic

Reaction score
10-4, I totally forgot the intel vs. IBM thing.

How can I get the disc OUT of the mini? Holding down eject doesn't seem to do anything as it boots.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Power the Mini on and hold down the Left mouse button, keep it down for a bit and the DVD should eject. Might take 30 seconds or more so be patient!

Good deal on the Mini. And agreed on the Boxed Tiger DVD being for Power PC macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.