Trash Issue - "File Will Be Deleted Immediately"

Reaction score
Hi Guys - It seems that every time I try to delete a file, it isn't going to the trash, but rather it gives me a warning that it will be deleted immediately, and then deletes, if I hit okay. So it seems I don't have access to the trash folder, or it isn't there.

At the command line, ls -l ~/.Trash revealed that the folder is indeed there, and I have rwx privileges on it. Further, the command line reveals that there are trashed files in that folder, although when I click on the trash icon at the dock, it's empty. I have an external USB HDD attached, and if I try to delete a file from there, it trashes fine.

This all started when I tried make a BootCamp partition for the first time, and it found my internal HDD had errors, so I backed up my OS X install to my external USB drive, made it bootable, formatted my internal and then restored. Everything restored fine, except for my trash folder, it seems. Kinda weird that my external drive trashes fine, but when I boot to my internal, no trash.

I did a "repair disk permissions" in Disk Utility, and it found a bunch of ACL errors in the Library folder, but it fixed them, and still no trash.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to format and re-install OS X all over again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.