• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Jobs onstage at Apple Expo in Paris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Source: MacMinute.com

Jobs onstage at Apple Expo in Paris
September 16, 2003 - 04:40 EDT Apple CEO Steve Jobs has taken the stage at Apple Expo in Paris, giving overviews of the new iPods, the Power Mac G5, and Mac OS X 10.3 Panther. MacMinute will bring you news of major announcements as they happen.

My Comments: Very exciting!

N

nko

So far:

New PowerBooks (though not as rediculously new as some had hoped for :))

Wireless Keyboard and Mouse, with 128 bit encryption so as to avoid keystroke snooping, and Adaptive Frequency Hopping to avoid interference with other technologies and appliances using the 2.4 GHz band. Still only 1 button on the mouse, though :)

$50 Rebate on Macs bought bundled with Keynote.

N

nko

So for clarity's sake, am I right in gathering that the new PowerBooks are "new" in ways similar to the new iMacs?

Backlit keyboard (not that it's an iMac feature), USB 2.0, FireWire 800 (hey, PB's are pro, iMacs are not), beefed up processors (are these the new G4s?), 2 GB / max RAM....

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah they are just souped up a bit :)

N

nko

Yeah, nothing spectacular.

Still, I can think of a LOT of people who will be able to appreciate the new memory capabilities! think of all the video editors who exclusively use their PowerBook for everything. Not that the one they've got now will be magically updated, but ya know what I mean. To drooooool for!

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would love to have one ;)

N

nko

I'll bet you would, Mr. I've-Got-1-GB-Already ;)

That does it, I'm saving up for a 512 MB upgrade! :D It's only, like, what, $40 now? Don't they give them away in every box of Trix? Isn't RAM what some people use as kleenex these days?

And yet I'm sure it'd cost up of $400 to get the 2 GB in that PowerBook :-\. Eh, if ya got the money for the machine itself, I'm sure the RAM isn't much more of a stretch!

OP
Murlyn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah right now I would like to get the machine and not worry about the RAM. I just know that in reality it will probably be at least another year or more before I can get a new laptop and by that time Apple should have come out with another newer Powerbook.. and mine works great as is right now.. so I can wait. But if you have an extra couple of grand.. I wouldnt mind taking that off your hands so I could get the new PB :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Prices vary on the RAM, but the stick I just bought - 512 MB PC133 - was $90 or so...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
well i got close to a full 2 months of no updates since i got my powerbook and now i wanna cry ;(

i want firewire800, usb2.0, airport extreme and the metal backlit keyboard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
You know, I wish they had the 12'' up to the same mhz as every other powerbook. I want a 12'' but I want it fast and just as good as the 17''.

Souped up isnt bad :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.