Cooling system for Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Does anyone use one of those cooling pads with built in fans to cool their MacBook Pro?

Is it a waste of money or is it recommended? And if it's recommended, which one?

Please and thank you! :)

Reaction score
I don't use one. Macbook Pros are designed to run just fine at the temperatures they reach. If it's uncomfortable on your lap you could consider it, but if it's just on a desk try putting some post-it notes to raise it up a centimeter to get some air moving underneath. You don't need to spend $50 on a cooling pad.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have a laptop stand - no fan design. I only use it for gaming sessions on my lap or when I've got it sitting on the bed, carpet, etc. that would otherwise block the airflow.

edit: btw, I use the iLap by Rain Design. Have had it for a couple of years. A little on the pricey side maybe, but it's a nice design, comfortable when in your lap for hours at a time for a bout of WoW and has some sort of grabber pads on it that prevent your notebook from sliding even when tilted at a 45+ degree angle.

If you're keeping it on a desk - don't need one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, iPad 2 64, 2 x iPod Touch, MBA, 2 x iPhone 3g
That sounds like a question from a recent Windows refugee !

These machines are just fine - without all the Microsoft paranoia.

Enjoy

Reaction score
I use a cooling pad with a small, USB powered fan from Moshi when I am doing processor intensive things. Like those above said, its not necessary when on a desk so much, but it can help.

moshi - zefyr

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That sounds like a question from a recent Windows refugee !

These machines are just fine - without all the Microsoft paranoia.

Enjoy

Huh? How is wanting to keep the computer operating efficiently "Microsoft paranoia"?

The fact is, most manufacturers (Apple or otherwise) now refer to what we would traditionally call "laptops" as "notebooks". There is a very good reason for this - in this day and age of notebooks that approach (and in some cases exceed) the power of desktops, they have to dissipate, but don't have the benefit of big cool fans or space for air to circulate between warm components.

To add insult to injury, aluminum is a conductor. So the case of the machine actually acts as a heatsink.

So, to answer the OP's question - yes, if you intend to use the machine on your lap, it would be a good idea to use a cooling pad or lap desk to keep air flow beneath the computer.

Reaction score
i did some reading up and in my opinion passive gel pads work better than fans. try googling thermapak because of the way the fan is at the hinges, there is no efficient way to dissipate the heat from other areas than direct contact which draws the heat away. so if you are using the laptop "bareback" without any plastic casing, it would work best for you. I am using speck so I think it would make very little difference unless it gets to 60 deg c which it doesnt very often at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For heaven's sake - that was supposed to be humour. If it wasn't received as such, then I'm sorry but humour it was.

I used to subscribe to PC Advisor in UK and there were SO many questions about cooling it wasn't funny.

It's relatively rare to see them here and they usually come from people who have recently migrated and got new equipment!

If you note, the gist was positive, don't worry and enjoy!

As for the change from 'laptops' to 'notebooks' we're back into the realms of political correctness from manufacturers who don't wish to be cited in litigation about sterility!

If it's uncomfortable don't use it on your lap - you wouldn't keep a hot plate with a meal on it on your lap if it wasn't comfortable enough - why would you keep a computer there?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
For heaven's sake - that was supposed to be humour. If it wasn't received as such, then I'm sorry but humour it was.

I used to subscribe to PC Advisor in UK and there were SO many questions about cooling it wasn't funny.

It's relatively rare to see them here and they usually come from people who have recently migrated and got new equipment!

If you note, the gist was positive, don't worry and enjoy!

As for the change from 'laptops' to 'notebooks' we're back into the realms of political correctness from manufacturers who don't wish to be cited in litigation about sterility!

If it's uncomfortable don't use it on your lap - you wouldn't keep a hot plate with a meal on it on your lap if it wasn't comfortable enough - why would you keep a computer there?

Sorry, your statement just smacks of rampant fanboyism, which really drives me nuts.

Reaction score
I have a Powerbook G4 Aluminum and i have to use a cooling pad in order to do basically anything, though i do keep it set on best performance. I dont use an actual pad, but i have a Antec fan that sits under the back of the system when its on the desk. So i basically use it for 10 - 15 minutes and then put it on the desk to cool down. The Apple Genius' said this type of heat is normal because of the aluminum case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, your statement just smacks of rampant fanboyism, which really drives me nuts.

Is that 'sorry' you still think that ? :Grimmace:

Or is that 'sorry' you misunderstood the humour? :D

Either way I generally only try to encourage people here rather than spout rubbish about other operating systems. O:)

The 'certified Vista free' comment is based upon the number of people that have asked me to sort out their Vista equipped machines that are over-controlling within the operating system and not doing what they were asked to do. I don't have that problem with Macs nor do most of the people I know WITH Macs.

If THAT is 'fanboyism' - then I'm your man (or would it be 'boy'?) :Confused:

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
i'm usin' this jank here

targus-laptop-coolerjpg.jpg

while i've never had a problem with my laptop overheating, the fact of the matter is that heat is the enemy of electronics, and the cooler you can make it run, the longer it will last and quicker it will perform. period. I'm not sure how much it helps out with the actual internals, but the external housing of my MBP is VERY noticeably cooler when using it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.