default browser

Reaction score
I changed browsers from safari to firefox but didn't like it (too long to load and I liked the look of safari better) so I then wanted to change back to safari. However now when I go to safari preferences to change as instructed, I open preferences only to see the 'advanced' screen with no general preferences and no way to back track.... I wondered if this is a change made during the download by Mozilla to stop you changing once you have set firefox as the default browser?
Can anyone help please?!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Firefox does not change any settings for Safari. I have 5 browsers installed (Opera, Opera 10 alpha, Safari 4 beta, Firefox and Chromium - this doesn't get recognized though) and I am still able to access all tabs in the preferences for Safari. I suggest you take louishen's advice and do a reinstall. This is also a good chance to upgrade to the new beta.

OP
D
Reaction score
safari 4 installed - no good

Well sounded like a good idea but no good - still got the advanced preferences screen.
Perhaps I should remove firefox first and then re-install safari?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That shouldn't make a difference. Could you post a shot of what this looks like (sounds very odd to me)?

OP
D
Reaction score
still trying to go on safari...

I hope this works attaching this screenshot. It is simply the 'advanced' preferences screen. This is what appears when I select preferences in safari.
Thanks for your patience.

Picture 2.png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click the oval like shape in the top right hand corner of the window. It appears as if you have just hidden the toolbar.

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh dear.... what a drongo....! Yes you are right.
Thanks vansmith and louishen for your patience once again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.