Bank website won't let me on, needs "Strong Encryption"

Reaction score
When I try to log on to my financial institution's web site I get this error message (copied and pasted)

Please upgrade your browser
Your browser is unable to perform strong encryption. For your protection, we require 128 bit encryption in order to secure your banking session.
Please upgrade your browser to Internet Explorer 5.5+ or Netscape Navigator 4.73+

I'm not super computer savvy but I did find out that I have the up to date Safari 3.2.1 which claims to use 128 bit encryption.

I used to be able to access this site no problem on this very same computer. Recently I was able to use my iPhone to log in but today I started getting the same error message on that as well.

I've tried playing around with some of the security settings, i.e. turing on/off cookies etc.. It's all back to what I had it set at originally when it worked.

Is this something I can fix or is it something my bank's IT people have screwed up? I'm really not interested in downloading Netscape or Internet Explorer, there's a reason I switched to Mac, and it wasn't to go back to those browsers.

Thanks for you help in advance. :Sleeping:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari for sure uses 128-Bit Encryption.

What I have found with Wells Fargo at least is the browser has to be on their list of approved browsers or it will tell me go away and update your browser. I once talked to a Wells tech and he explained it was for my protection. I have never once had issues logging into my wells account with Safari, but Wells supports OSX and Safari.

Have you tried say Firefox? Opera? Do you get the same message?

OP
M
Reaction score
No, I haven't tried any other browser. I wouldn't even know where to begin. I suspected what you said was probably true, that if they didn't recognize it that they'd tell me to take a hike when I tried to log on. I should probably talk to one of their IT guys before I go to the trouble of installing Firefox or Opera (haven't heard of that one). They specifically listed Internet Explorer and Netscape in the error messages.

If I do try another browser, what do you recommend?
PS It's a tiny Credit Union, not big like Wells Fargo, you think that has something to do with the small range of browsing choices?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Firefox is so widely used I would try that. Easy to install. Download and double click on Firefox.dmg. Drag Firefox to the Applications folder. put the DMG in the trash and it will unmount.

Could be since they are very small.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Nothing to do with Suggestions, Comments or Support for Mac-Forums.
Moved to appropriate forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry

Yes, thank you for your "subtle" and "kind" correction as to redirect this forum to another location. I realized my error too late. I read the first part of the sentence, ending with support. My mistake, oh please won't you forgive me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you fixed your problem yet by using Firefox

OP
M
Reaction score
I haven't tried it at home yet on my laptop but I will when I get home from work. I'm having the same prob on the iPhone but I guess I can't download firefox on to it. Any ideas on a browser that iphone will accept and will be recognized my my bank?

I called the IT del from my bank and he recommended installing firefox too. When I get off this 34 hour shift I'll try it.

Any advice on the iPhone thing would be cool though...thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.