which imac to get for a dorm room?

Reaction score
OK so I already have a macbook (from a couple years ago), but now I am really craving an iMac.

I was leaning towards the 24-inch. But I might be moving into a dorm in a year or two when I transfer to this out-of-state college. I'm worred the 24-inch might not fit on a dorm desk?

I have no idea how big my desk will be, because it's out-of-state and I haven't been in the dorms yet.

But this guy at the store told me that some people have to return the 24-inch ones because they won't fit on their desks!

I know this probably sounds like a really dumb question. ha
But I've been debating for weeks over which size to get, and I really can't decide!?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'd say get to the drom with a tape measure and then buy the iMac accordingly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OK so I already have a macbook (from a couple years ago), but now I am really craving an iMac.

I know this probably sounds like a really dumb question. ha
But I've been debating for weeks over which size to get, and I really can't decide!?

Firstly...If you already have a MacBook...why do you need an iMac?

Second...Do you have a specific need for the 24" iMac. If not...just get the 20" iMac...call it a day...and move on!:Smirk:

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Firstly...If you already have a MacBook...why do you need an iMac?

Second...Do you have a specific need for the 24" iMac. If not...just get the 20" iMac...call it a day...and move on!:Smirk:

- Nick

Well my macbook only has a 60 GB HD. I have an external HD to fit extra stuff, but I still always wish I had more space.

Plus, I am always using my laptop for something. Whether it be surfing the web, writing a paper, researching, listening to music, watching a movie, etc. I feel that a laptop just isn't meant to be used QUITE so much. Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel that it's not gonna last as long as it should it I continue to use it SO much.

AND they are gorgeous of course. :)
OH and my macbook doesn't have Leopard. Yeah, I could upgrade, but I'd rather put that money towards an iMac since I want one soooo badly.

I don't really NEED the 24", but heck I don't really NEED the 20" either! ha

I'm actually leaning towards the 24" at this point.

Otherwise I'm afraid I'll always wish I had the 24"! I highly doubt I'm ever gonna wish I had a smaller screen.

SO I suppose I have answered my own question...

ha

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I don't really NEED the 24", but heck I don't really NEED the 20" either! ha

I'm actually leaning towards the 24" at this point.

Otherwise I'm afraid I'll always wish I had the 24"! I highly doubt I'm ever gonna wish I had a smaller screen.

SO I suppose I have answered my own question...

ha

Yes...if money is not a problem...and you're getting an iMac...the 24" is the way to go! You would just be disappointed if you got the 20".

As far as the dorm room & the 24"...you'll find a way to make it fit!;D

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I was able to fit a 17" monitor, my rather large desktop computer, and big speakers all on my dorm room desk back in college. I can easily see a 24" iMac fitting on a dorm room desk.

MTI

Reaction score
Does the new 24" work with a VESA mount system? If so, then you can use a support arm to lift it off the desk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.