Big Monitor Problems - Any solution?

Reaction score
Ok so a few days ago the internal hard drive died on me in my intel iMac (2006). I installed a new system to an external drive, but then I decided to replace teh hard drive.

So like an idiot - I attempted to open up my iMac today, well I couldn't get it open to fix but I fear Ive made bigger problems. The screen now has a lot of stuck pixels going across it. (Pics included) - Can anyone think of a way to fix this? Or am I going to have to shell out the money to the apple store for a fix?

P1000119.JPG

P1000120.JPG

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What steps exactly did you do? It looks like it could be a cable not plugged in all the way. Can you describe exactly what steps you took and what parts you removed?

Did you get in as far as the display and try to remove that?

OP
E
Reaction score
I started to remove the protective cover but I couldnt get the bottom to budge, it was at this point that I decided not to mess with it because of potential to mess something up. If its any indicator, the top of the screen is still removable now after I have put it back in place, its not smug anymore.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you press hard on the top part of the display itself when trying to get the front off the machine? There are Two locks there you access through the Vent at the top rear of the iMac with a Tool Apple provides it's techs. I made my own and it worked.

If you pressed really hard on the display panel I am wondering if you damaged it. I swear I see a CRACK in that dark portion of the 2nd picture.

Also this is the White iMac correct? If so did you remove the memory cover and take out the other screws on the underside by the memory cover?

OP
E
Reaction score
I probably pressed too hard when i did it.

Included is another picture closer up that does look a bit like a crack.

I removed the memory cover but rescrewed it before attempting to remove the glass.

I didnt unscrew any of the other underside pieces.

Thank you for your quick and helpful responses btw.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I probably pressed too hard when i did it.

Included is another picture closer up that does look a bit like a crack.

No photo!

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh wow, Ill post the photo when I get home from work - its just a close up version of the 2nd photo above.

MTI

Reaction score
It's a ruptured LCD, that's the black "blob" you see.

1) Replace the LCD panel or;
2) Use an external monitor is Mirror mode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.