How do i change a Password?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a computer from some auction website. When i received it and turned it on, its asking me for a username and password.

Is there anyway to reset the Password without the discs cuz it didn't come with anything like install discs or manuals.

I know there is a way how to change the admin password on macbook by going in to the command settings but i don't know how to change a password on PowerMac G4 QuickSliver.

I really don't feel like buying the operating system cuz then it will cost me a lot and its not worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Probably worth it to get a set of discs, to be honest. They're a good thing to have anyways. As always, make sure you buy the retail (Black) discs. You probably want Tiger, and they aren't too expensive anymore. Just look around ebay, craigslist, etc. First though, I'd try and contact the seller to see if the have the original discs. I don't know if there is a way to reset the password without getting into the admin. account, but I imagine it will be alot easier to get the discs and do a fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Purchase a set of Tiger OS X.4 retail install discs and make sure they are the black coloured discs, and not a silver grey model specific set which work only with the model machine they were released with.

When you have the discs, format the drive, and zero if you wish, and do a clean install and update over the net. And max memory out to 1.5GB or just sell the machine!

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks David and Harry. since there is now way to reset the password, i guess i will have to buy the discs but i am wondering, when there is a way to change a password on macbook, how come there is such way to change the password on powermac :(

One More thing.

How do i go into the command prompt or terminal when starting my powermac? is there any way?
i know i can go into the terminal by clicking applications>utilities>Terminal but how do i go in there when the computer is starting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Mac Mini, 2 Classic Ipod's, and an old Imac
Once you get the disc in, just restart it and hold c. It should take you right where you need to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are holding down Control and S after chimes which open single user and terminal? Used to have name on the key but later model keyboards make do with the apple icon which is why is referred to as 'Apple' key.

OP
A
Reaction score
You are holding down Control and S after chimes which open single user and terminal? Used to have name on the key but later model keyboards make do with the apple icon which is why is referred to as 'Apple' key.

hmm... well u know what. i will try this option with everything, i will hold do apple key, ctrl key, option key and everything and then lets see what happens.

thanks for your help. i will post the result here soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any news altebar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.