Gaming

J

jessica

Does anyone actually game on their powerbook? Specifically the 1.67ghz model? If so, what are your specs and what games do you play? I'm thinking more like doom 3, call of duty, etc.

OP
L

Lasha

So, then that proves how well it can run on the brand new 1.67 15" PowerBook! :)

OP
M

menace3054

Lasha said:
So, then that proves how well it can run on the brand new 1.67 15" PowerBook! :)

actually, i had different experiences. granted my pb is the 1.33ghz version, but i do have 1.25 gb of ram. I tried playing UT 2004, and it was miserable. it was so choppy and not fun that i uninstalled it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
good luck with doom 3.

Stick to call of duty or halo or medal of honor.. or unreal..

OP
K

kingcrowing2

yeah, UT 04 should run really well on a new PB, but Doom WON'T RUN! maybe you'll be able to get to the main menu of it, but your not gonna be able to play it, i think the minimum processor is a 1.5GHz G5

OP
R

Redbull

Unreal works fine as far as I'm concerned with my 1.67. I wonder if the PC version of GTA: San Andreas would work?. Anybody know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your pc software wont run on a mac with out vpc, and it wont run any game worth playing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
menace3054 said:
actually, i had different experiences. granted my pb is the 1.33ghz version, but i do have 1.25 gb of ram. I tried playing UT 2004, and it was miserable. it was so choppy and not fun that i uninstalled it

That's odd. I loaded UT2004 on my PB 1.33 12", 768MB RAM, and it runs fine. I also mainly play it on my iMac 17" 1.25, 768MB RAM, and I play it with "Normal" video settings for everything, and I play with up to around 4 to 5 people from work all connected to a separate server at my house over DSL. No lags or choppy-ness.

For PC reference I also have played it on a Dell Inspiron 8200, 512MB Ram P4 1.25Ghz laptop with no problems either. I prefer it on the iMac, better screen to display the graphics. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It all depends on what the settings are set at too.. because if i can play americas army on my 800mhz imac g4.. im pretty sure you can play UT anything on a 1ghz anything.

OP
M

meltbanana314

kingcrowing2 said:
yeah, UT 04 should run really well on a new PB

I had to turn a lot of the eye candy off to get the demo to run smoothly...

I heard somewhere that DOOM could only run on the G5 processors - is this true?

OP
M

menace3054

IanCT said:
That's odd. I loaded UT2004 on my PB 1.33 12", 768MB RAM, and it runs fine. I also mainly play it on my iMac 17" 1.25, 768MB RAM, and I play it with "Normal" video settings for everything, and I play with up to around 4 to 5 people from work all connected to a separate server at my house over DSL. No lags or choppy-ness.

For PC reference I also have played it on a Dell Inspiron 8200, 512MB Ram P4 1.25Ghz laptop with no problems either. I prefer it on the iMac, better screen to display the graphics. ;)

my pb must be screwed up. everytime i played it got to like 200 degrees and all sorts of fans kicked in and everything got all slow and choppy so i just gave up

OP
B

Bwoody06

Does anyone know if hl2 will work on PB's? Also does anyone know if games like Americas Army will run fine on a PB?

OP
M

mac_noobie

lets get this straight... PC games that arn't made for mac (i.e. hl2) WON'T run on a mac.... Americas army will, I have a 12 inch powerbook 768 meg ram and I run Americas army on fairly low settings but not the lowest, and I get good gameplay... Otherwise I ran unreal tournament on high settings without lag...

but if your getting a computer for games jessica... go with a PC, their laptops have the hardware and power to out gun any powerbook g4.... and the price to beat it... check out this if your looking for a gaming laptop (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspn_xps2?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs) note the 256mb geforce go6800 ultra... also thats PCI express at 16x... where the powerbooks are only AGP 4x... so your getting quadruple the bandwith...

plus don't try to put down the centrino processor I ran all types of high performance games on a centrino... I sold my dell laptop with a centrino in it, and it was very, very fast.

Good luck with your decision

OP
M

mac_noobie

::blushes:: sorry guys I thought she was looking for a computer... not that she already had one... got a little side tracked while reading other posts....

I'm sorry

OP
R

rosyblush

Is it very difficult to play pc games on the powerbook even with vpc? I am a big fan of pc games like The Sims 2 and other online games but I'm so fed up with the microsoft os that I'm thinking of switching to the powerbook. But from what I gather, it does not seem like a good idea if I want to continue gaming... Can anyone advice?

OP
M

m-sambo

If you are a gamer you would be better off sticking to windows or move to a console. VPC wouldn't give the performance required.

Mike

OP
M

mac_noobie

rosyblush said:
Is it very difficult to play pc games on the powerbook even with vpc? I am a big fan of pc games like The Sims 2 and other online games but I'm so fed up with the microsoft os that I'm thinking of switching to the powerbook. But from what I gather, it does not seem like a good idea if I want to continue gaming... Can anyone advice?

they distribute the sims 2 for macs... http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/complete/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.