Problem running time machine on external hd through aiport extreme

Reaction score
I recently purchased an Airport Extreme and have connected a printer and external hd through a powered usb hub to the device. The printer works with no problems and I set up time machine to back up to the drive no problems.

However, when I enter Time Machine and attempt to restore to an earlier time, it will not let me. The restore option never becomes illuminated. The external drive is a WD that I have used previously as a Time Machine backup. I'm currently also saving some media files to the drive wirelessly with no problems, but do not have the drive partitioned. Any input would be appreciated.

OP
L
Reaction score
Anyone? This seems like a fairly common idea to set up an external hd for time machine use through a wireless router with usb. What am I doing wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i have mine setup as i described in another thread here about how to make a cheaper time machine and it works as it should.

external drive formatted extended journaled connected to the extreme and macbook time machines to it over the wireless network and allows me to restore or at least it is selectable as an option. i have never actually restored since i haven't had a need to.

not sure if it matters but i dont care to backup my entire machine so i have only my user folder backing up. i can re-install the OS no problem so i ony care about my personal/work files. this greatly reduces the time machine size and makes for faster syncs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Why not test it without the powered USB hub as a first step in troubleshooting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
Why not test it without the powered USB hub as a first step in troubleshooting

good idea. i have heard that for some reason some USB hubs have problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.