My Story, My Review

JRV

Reaction score
I have a PC desktop that I built myself and run Windows XP Proffesional on. I've never had any issues with my PC, probably because I customized it myself. I recently became interested in Macs. I was also in the market for a laptop so I could go mobile. To me after reading reviews and checking out the specs the G4 iBook was my choice.

I am very happy with my new iBook. The overall design is simple and very clean cut. I went with the 12in iBook and I was worried the screen would be to small but it's much better than I thought it would be. I am very impressed by the operating system too. I wouldn't say that i've "switched" because I will not be giving up my PC. I feel it's best to know both. I will probably run a PC desktop and Mac laptop from now on.

F

falltime

JRV said:
I have a PC desktop that I built myself and run Windows XP Proffesional on. I've never had any issues with my PC, probably because I customized it myself. I recently became interested in Macs. I was also in the market for a laptop so I could go mobile. To me after reading reviews and checking out the specs the G4 iBook was my choice.

I am very happy with my new iBook. The overall design is simple and very clean cut. I went with the 12in iBook and I was worried the screen would be to small but it's much better than I thought it would be. I am very impressed by the operating system too. I wouldn't say that i've "switched" because I will not be giving up my PC. I feel it's best to know both. I will probably run a PC desktop and Mac laptop from now on.

Nice post man - I agree!

Knowing and using both platforms is the best way to go.

Reaction score
JRV said:
I've never had any issues with my PC, probably because I customized it myself.

You've never had "issues" probably because you don't push the heck out of your system and don't do many of the really stupid things a lot of people do which makes the "Issues". Most times crashes are the result of doing something kind of stupid. A properly set up and maintained system will hum along quite well, no matter what OS is being run.

Welcome to the Mac side of things, I am sure you will enjoy the new laptop and OS X. I too will keep my last Pc for games and the few odd ball things that I can't find for OS X, but I like OS X so much i really doubt that I would ever go back to Windows full time.

M

MichaelSullivan

James said:
Most times crashes are the result of doing something kind of stupid.

Thats absolutely unfounded. I use the heck out of my work computers, staying stricktly in-between the lines, and I can get it to crash very often. Sometimes its just a matter of using too much virtual memory, not doing something stupid. I mean, cmon... that statement was just silly.

J

Jaysus

Awesome, I'm "switching" soon, after I get back from boot camp. I'm getting the G4 15" Powerbook and then I'm gonna go ahead and get a not SO expensive PC. Just a nice desktop to have windows on. Is there a way to get external hard drives that you can use for both OS's at the same time? Have you done this? That was a question I've had that I haven't been able to ask, because most Mac users I know are full fledged Mac users.

Reaction score
MichaelSullivan said:
Thats absolutely unfounded. I use the heck out of my work computers, staying stricktly in-between the lines, and I can get it to crash very often. Sometimes its just a matter of using too much virtual memory, not doing something stupid. I mean, cmon... that statement was just silly.

Not really, you prove it yourself in your own statement. You say "I can get it to crash very often..." And how do you do that? by doing something that you know will make it crash....sounds kind of stupid to me...but what ever turns your crank. Unless it is a mechanical problem i still say most crashes are usually caused by someone doing something they shouldn't like pushing a machine farther than it is capable...stupid...

Reaction score
Jaysus said:
Awesome, I'm "switching" soon, after I get back from boot camp. I'm getting the G4 15" Powerbook and then I'm gonna go ahead and get a not SO expensive PC. Just a nice desktop to have windows on. Is there a way to get external hard drives that you can use for both OS's at the same time? Have you done this? That was a question I've had that I haven't been able to ask, because most Mac users I know are full fledged Mac users.

Lots of Mac users came from Pc's and lots of them still own or work with a pc now and then, they just don't like to mention it..Probably just get tired of all the hard noses on both sides raggin on them about it.

Yes, an external hard drive can be setup to be used by both the Pc and the Mac. Simply format the hard drive in the fat 32 mode, then it can be both read by and written to by both machines. Be sure to give the drive a volume name however, or the Mac won't read it. A nice USB 2 or a Firewire will do a great job for you that way.

J

Jaysus

James said:
Lots of Mac users came from Pc's and lots of them still own or work with a pc now and then, they just don't like to mention it..Probably just get tired of all the hard noses on both sides raggin on them about it.

Yes, an external hard drive can be setup to be used by both the Pc and the Mac. Simply format the hard drive in the fat 32 mode, then it can be both read by and written to by both machines. Be sure to give the drive a volume name however, or the Mac won't read it. A nice USB 2 or a Firewire will do a great job for you that way.
Awesome, doesn't Fat 32 only support files that are 4 Gig or less? I've never ripped a DVD before, but if I ever rip a DVD to my computer, does it make more than one file so it isn't one big 4+ gig file? If not, how would a Mac user deal with that? I know this really has nothing to do with the topic, but I was just kind of wondering this and didn't know where to ask.

M

MichaelSullivan

James said:
Not really, you prove it yourself in your own statement. You say "I can get it to crash very often..." And how do you do that? by doing something that you know will make it crash....sounds kind of stupid to me...but what ever turns your crank. Unless it is a mechanical problem i still say most crashes are usually caused by someone doing something they shouldn't like pushing a machine farther than it is capable...stupid...

Jason, you need to stop creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. I said that I use my work laptops 'between the lines', as in I use many applications for their intended purpose. I'm not clicking on random vbscripts or launching email executibles. Pushing your computer to the limit isn't stupid, its what the computer is for. Making silly assumptions about 'most people' is, however.

R

ryanyogan

I have yet to have a PC problem, then again I build them on the side and was able to put the best of the best in mine so the drivers are all top notch as well. Usually most crashes are caused by crappy hardware which in turn has some out of date crap driver. I can say I push my XP Pro to the limits and never turn it off, the computer goes off only when I am changing something around in it, or have to restart. I do everything from compile C++.net/C#.net programs, half life 2, photoshop, you name it, I do it with no problem.

Reaction score
That's interesting, I know that from the PC's that are owned in the family and with friends PC's that it could well be bad hardware that is at the core of the problems they have and that is one of the benefits of buying a Mac, you know that it's going to be good quality.

Mind you isn't their another windows problem, Viruses and spy-ware !!! Or is that mainly paranoia and hoaxes. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
Most times crashes are the result of doing something kind of stupid. A properly set up and maintained system will hum along quite well, no matter what OS is being run.

Most crashes are not necessarily caused by people doing something stupid, or overdoing the system.

There are many, many causes for a system to crash - some examples are surge spikes, (yes these can cause the system to crash), faulty memory, a failing power supply, a processor with a corrupt cache, incompatible programs, flaws in the operating system, a failing hard drive, a faulty bios, a failing cmos battery, virtual memory issues ........... the list goes on and on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.