MacPro and Wireless Mighty Mouse Compatibility?

Reaction score
Hi

I have a new Xenon MacPro which is my first mac. I've had it only 2 weeks, and am having a problem that is happening many, many times per day.

When working with the computer, the computer locks up, and the mouse cursor is still appearing on the screen, but it is not functional. I can move the cursor around, but clicking doesn't activate anything. This happens at least once an hour and sometimes more!!

I have to put the computer to sleep by pressing Option+Command+P, and sometimes that doesn't work, so I have to hold in the power button to shut down the computer and restart it. If it does go to sleep, when brought back from sleep, it is functioning properly, until if happens again.

I've had it in to a "Genius", and made many calls to Apple Care, but nobody seems to be able to get a handle on this.

I'm wondering if this is a Bluetooth issue? Is anyone else having this problem?

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

It is unacceptable to me that this machine is doing this, and I have only installed 2 programs (Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop). But it is doing it in programs in the iWorks and iLife suite that came with the machine.

I'm seriously considering asking Apple to take it back and give me a refund. :Angry:

Ken Kennedy
Seattle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Have you tried a different mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well for kicks, you may want to try a different mouse.

Also try creating a new user and see if the problem is replicated on a new, virgin account.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well for kicks, you may want to try a different mouse.

Also try creating a new user and see if the problem is replicated on a new, virgin account.

Applecare think it is a problem with the mouse and not the cpu. I have a USB mouse connected to the MacPRO as well as the wireless mouse. The next time the system locks up, I am going to move from the wireless mouse to the USB mouse and see if I can continue to work with that mouse. If that is the case, then there is something wrong with the Mouse or the bluetooth connection, or how the MacPRo connects through bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Applecare think it is a problem with the mouse and not the cpu. I have a USB mouse connected to the MacPRO as well as the wireless mouse. The next time the system locks up, I am going to move from the wireless mouse to the USB mouse and see if I can continue to work with that mouse. If that is the case, then there is something wrong with the Mouse or the bluetooth connection, or how the MacPRo connects through bluetooth.

Sounds like a good plan. Problem is... if you have the lockup and still can't control anything with even the wired mouse, then you need to work solely with the wired mouse (disable BT) to be sure the use of the BT mouse wasn't locking up the whole system, rather than just the BT mouse failing to respond.

I still recommend experimenting on a virgin new user. If you have a corrupt driver or conflict with a 3rd-party app, you can help prove that on a new user. Just don't install anything new on that user or use apps that install drivers and other files to the Library. If you fail to have any issues on the new user, then you don't have a hardware problem, but rather a conflict or corruption in your User Library, which is easily remedied.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.